Got SCAMMED on EBAY!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
Won an auction and I payed a guy in Cal $75 for a pair of sneakers for my son. I made the payment through paypal and my paypal bank account. He took my money and ran. He is no longer a member on ebay, and I can't get him to answer any emails. Am I screwed or what. Help?:angry:

Did you pay via PayPal using a credit card? If so, call and reverse the charge. PayPal doesn't like when that happens (because they eat the money), but that's their problem.

LaRue:

Even if Pay Pal can't help I think you can get a partial reimbursment through Ebay. I bought a full set of ground effects for my son's Fiero years ago. The lady was nice and friendly until I paid her and then she dissapeared. The account was closed but Ebay paid like 70% of it. Of course, Ebay is almost impossible to call so if I were you, I'd contact Pay Pal via phone 1st to see the best way to start this out. There is a phone number under contact ifo at the bottom of the Pay Pal page.

Good luck, I hope you get most or all of your money back,

Gary
:)

I still don't see how Paypal can exhonerate themselves from any liability in these types of disputes. Yes, I know that many have stated that unless the paypal account in dispute still exists, and has funds, that the paypal dispute process really has no teeth.

But to me, that just doesn't seem right. Yes, if paypal were a FREE service I could see them taking the attitude that there is "none on them", but since they get a cut of the trans AND hold deposited funds hostage for up to 4 days drawing interest from them, they clearly have a vested interest and a monetary responsibility in the trans they broker...IMHO.

I see Class Action suit...

TJR

This is why I try to only buy stuff on ebay from local people and do a local pickup. In fact, I won an auction on a guitar this weekend, and am meeting they guy at a store tonight to pick it up. When I looked at the PayPal rules and such, I did not get a warm fuzzy.

I would absolutely get in contact with both ebay and PayPal. Hopefully one of them will help you out.

Rocks

One of my good customers filed a claim against a vendor on eBay. He filed a claim, as the product wasn't shipped and no emails/phone calls returned. And, he was more than patient as it finally took the guy 2 months to ship the product. However, once he opened a claim with PayPal it was resolved in two weeks. PayPal froze the sellers account as he couldn't show proof of shipping the product. The seller responded right away after this occurred.

BTW, PayPal is owned by eBay.

Class Action Law Suit? Probably are a few of them against both companies. Both those can take years to get resolved.

LaRue, sorry this happened to you. Check out Paypalsucks.com......hope you get you funds back. If the seller won't provide shipping proof you usually will recover them.

GM,

Thanks, I just watched the vid.

I see that Paypal's VP calls their service a "system." I suspect that was a deliberate choice of words. If he called paypal a service, which is what I think most rational people would call it, then they owe it to their users that get charged a transaction fee/percentage for that service to safeguard them and their transactions. If they hide behind the we provide a "system" claim, then they assume less responsibility.

They are a service...those b!t¢hes!

TJR

I have never had to prove it but it is my understanding that you have 45 days to file a claim with PayPal.

I did have a case recently where a seller who lurks on another forum's classifieds sold me a part for my 70 Mach 1 after I placed a wanted ad. I sent him the money back in April and he kept coming up with excuses as to why he couldn't ship the part. I had bought other parts from him before so I was willing to give him a chance. I finally had to threaten legal action before I got a refund. The 45 days had expired long before that. I'm pretty sure he never had the part and thought he could find it after he got my money. I guess he didn't realize how rare it was. :rolleyes:

All the seller has to do is provide a shipping number that something was sent to your address. That happend to me. I purchased multiple items from one seller and he only sent one thing. When I filed a claim with Paypal, they said it was unjustified because the seller provided a tracking number. It could have been an empty box, but Pay Pal didn't care. By the time the claim was finally closed, it was too late to post negative feedback on the seller. I made the mistake of leaving some cash in the Pay Pal account and using that for payment. Never again. Always cash out right away and use your credit card when purchasing.

Another kicker, the seller has to pay the "fee" whether you use Pay Pal cash or a Credit Card. :angry:

I too am dealing with yet another eBay issue. I bought a set of DVD headrests. When I got them, they appear to have been stolen out of someone elses vehicle, sliced wires etc. I have filed a claim with PayPal and it will be decided tomorrow. BUT, who cares if I win the dispute, he hasn't been in contact with me, ebay, or PayPal, so how do I get my money back?. I just want my flipping money back, but doubt that will happen. I am out $400 for stolen goods....anyone have any suggestions for that one?

So funny, I am just having my first issues with PayPal. The seller rejected my payment by accident and PayPal is still drawing the money. So my account is on hold, I won't have my camera lens in time for the race. At least the seller is understanding that he caused the problem.

Two years ago I hadn't even considered eBay for buying anything but since then my wife and I have purchased over a hundred items. We have had two problems both quickly resolved by paypal. The first the seller took the money and ran, no contact of any sort and no item shipped, paypal reimbursed the money. The second one the seller stopped communicating and would not respond to my messages after the item did not show up. Once I filed a paypal the seller immediately shipped out my item (2nd day delivery). I think there are a few that just wait to see if you will pursue it or not. So far I have nothing bad to say about paypal, to me it is a very convenient and safe way to purchase items and I use it for none eBay purchases so I do not have to give everyone my credit card number.

Latest posts