got nailed on the quad today....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerald Pierce

Reaction score
Went riding the atv this morning, and 2 minutes into my ride, I am idling through a blind 90 degree corner on the right side of the trail. Just as I round the corner, a 10-12 yo boy comes hauling a$$ about 50 on a 400 sport style and nails me right in the left front tire. Cracked the differential housing (500.00), bent the control arms, steering knuckle, rim, and cracked the upper brace for the diff. Minimum is 1800.00 just in parts.

His dad was 1/4 mile back. Kid had no helmet, but dad was wearing one. He flew right in front of my face as he went over his handlebars. Broke his wrist and maybe his arm.

No insurance, live in a mobile home, drive an old pos truck, and of course -- mine was not insured either since I own it outright.

Thank goodness no body was killed, but I am about pissed right now.

For you folks that have these machines -- get them insured, it is cheap. I was just down right lazy and now have to lay out about 5g to get the thing fixed or part it out and get a new one due to someone elses stupidity.

+1 Cruz...Even if an offroad vehicle, it pays to insure it like you would a raod vehicle!

Glad everyone came out relatively well...

Also glad you didn't mean what I perceived your post title to be. Like when my son-in-law & I were riding our 4 wheelers on city streets during a snow storm several years back and both wound up with a DWI!!!!!!

why is it you are paying cruz???? if its not your fault, why are you taking the hit? obviously the kid wont have the money, but dad should be taking the tab. JMO.

Mike, they have no insurance and dad is employed just above the minimum. They don't have a pot to pee in, driving an old pos truck, their quads were all pos's, and for me to get anything, I would likely have to sue, only to get a judgement. They were wondering what to do to get the son medical care (how to pay) so it really would get me no where to even try.

I should have had the insurance, but since I had the money in the bank, I figured I was fine in the off chance something happened -- just didn't figure it would be this severe. I think I can fix it my self, and if not, have the $$ to pay the dealer to do so, it just bites into my play money for mods.

2 feet to the rear and we both would have likely been seriously hurt if not killed. I am still saying my prayers on that one, I am really thankful.

Gerry, Im glad the injuries werent more serious. IMO, the dad was very neglegent. No helment on the kid. Living on the poverty line and driving atv's. Maybe I sound crude but thats money, that could be in the bank for a rainy day.

One step further...

Relative to the insurance...

I have a 99 dollar umbrella clause that protects me from personal liability for 1 million dollars.

I pay it up front every year, have had it for 6 years now. Worth every penny even if I NEVER need it.

It also protects me if for example,,, I let you ride my jet ski and you get hurt. If you do not have your own insurance, the umbrella clause kicks in.

It is a rider. Believe it is attached to my home. I can get details to confirm that if you would like.

Like I said, if I NEVER use it, worth every penny to me. Cheapest 99 bucks I spend a year.

Just ask your insurance person about a million dollar umbrella policy. Not sure but I think it's an add on to your homeowners policy....i may be wrong. I got mine when my kids started driving but should have gotten it earlier. I think mine is 200 per year??

'07 ST

CJ, I use USAA for my home and auto. If that is who you have. I can check it out. Sounds like a good cover for $99 a year.

I use a local independent company, then he shops it out. I do not recall the actual holder.

But I am sure it is a common thing and that USAA will be able to help you.

They are all in business to make money and pretty much need to be competitive do remain in business...

Latest posts