Got me a Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris TosteJr

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I got myself a '03 Sport Trac 4x4 XLT Premium last week:love: after selling my beloved '97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC :cry:. Its a one owner and 94506 miles on it. I have already ordered Rancho RS5000 shocks per all the recommendations here. I have also ordered the Moog sway bar end links.

My question is what other items should i look at getting? I don't have too much funding left and I am anticipating that it will need all major fluids changed in the next few months. Also, i know that the truck spent some of its years in Boston and Miami before making its way to San Antonio TX. Is there anything i should keep an eye one? It doesn't seem to have any major corrosion that i can see outside of what would be expected for a 10yr old truck.

Rear Sway bars. The factory ones are weak, and allow a lot of body roll. New heavier duty ones from the sponsors on this site will make an unbelievable difference.

Congrats on the Trac, if everything checked out at original purchase and with shocks, changing all fluids rad, trans, rear diff and transfer case. Should have some pretty care free miles ahead.

:welcome: Great choice! Any pics? I would suggest completely flushing the brake fluid as well as changing all the other fluids. On the transmission fluid, I recommend just dropping the pan and changing the filter rather than having it hooked up to a fluid exchange machine. This will get about half of the fluid changed. Then, do it again about a year later.(JMO) Also, your due for spark plugs. Congrats! Get all this taken care of. Then, start saving up for upgrades.:supercool:...Those Mark VIII's were freaking sweet! Just don't drive the ST like a Mark VIII. It's not a V8 and around 100 less hp.(IIRC) Easy on the gas pedal to get decent mpg's. :haveabeer:

Thank y'all so far. Got me some spark plugs on order. I looked into the rear sway bar, but right now is out of budget.

And for the record, it is no Mark VIII. But that is defiantly to be expected. For once, i find myself driving the speed limit, and into some of turns on the freeway, bout 10mph less then posted. Should help me save some money by cutting back on speeding tickets.:rofl:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Looks great! I do love the black ones. Check your cab mounts. Fords mounts dry rot into dust. No specific aftermarket replacement that I found, however a standard or universal kit is what I got and it worked perfectly. Avoid the red ones as they are not injectected with graphite an could start an annoying squeak on you later on down the road. Im sure you will enjoy your ST.

Shocks and the major fluids as you mentioned. Front diff and transfer case too if it is a 4x4. The only way to do the front diff is with a suction machine at the Qwicky Lube, the transfer case is easy to do yourself, I have a Member Project on it. My old '05 Trac did develop rust around the edges of the radiator support and the bottom door seams after three years here in the Salt Belt. If yours was in Miami for a while the rust issues might be okay, on the other hand Sun Belt living tends to be hard on the paint (especially dark colors) and the interior. Yours looks real good though. That's not a lot of miles really, my '08 Trac has 86k on it. They basically run forever, just the trannys are kinda fussy about having the fluid flushed every 30k like they're supposed to.