Got a Ruger LCP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
Summer is coming and I wanted a smaller gun to replace my Firestorm .380 for concealed carry.

I posted a message to http://www.swapgiant.com looking for a Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT. I found someone selling a Ruger LCP with a hat, 4 magazines, case, in the original box.

I decided to get it. On the way home, I stopped by a gun range I freguent and shot it.

My thoughts...

This thing is not easy to handle. It is very small, which is a plus. This is not a gun for someone with large hands and/or fingers. Make sure you get magazines with the finger support. On the magazines without the finger supports, the gun feels like it is going to jump out of your hand. I had 4 mags, 2 with the supports and 2 without, and I was nervous shooting the ones without the supports.

For the size, I simply love it. I really did not want an LCP, but in the back of my mind, it was still eating at me. I finally decided to give it a shot...literally.

I need to get a holster for it, but I can stick it between my belt and pants and never know it is there. I really like that. I think I will like that gun, though it will not be something I will "practice" with on a regular basis. One clip every 3 months should be enough.

What I don't like is the sights are too small. Seriously, the sights are smaller than Theresa's S&W 642. It makes it hard to aim, but if in a situation, you are not far from the bad guy so he is going to die anyways.

Overall, I am happy with it. Would I reccommend it? I can't say for sure. If you live close to me, you are more than welcomed to shoot it and decide for yourself.

Tom

I've got one on order, my xd 9mm is too large to conceal effectively.. I have similar expectations, I don't plan to shoot it regularly but I expect to work should I need it.

Be prepared. It is a monster to shoot. Make sure you use trhe magazines with the finger support. If not, it will scare you.

Tom

Make sure to check it against the site below for recall warranty work (if it needs it).

Good review. Good luck with it. Personally for me, I'll have to stick with my Kimber Ultra Carry II for the summer and my Pro Carry II for the winter. :)

The reviews said that my Kel Tec PF9 was a bear to shoot and would kill your hand. Because it's small, it has a good kick...kind of like my 45 ACP. Not that bad though. It is a nice little gun but I still prefer to carry my Springfield Armory XD 9 Subcompact.

'07 ST:)

Nice review Caymen, I'm not familiar with the LCP at all - although it's a spitting image of the Kel-Tec. I'm just happy there's other shooters who aren't afraid of posting of posting their finds on here, I wish I were closer... I always enjoy the chance to shoot something odd/different. :)

It's a hard niche that they suit- you're forced into a colt detective special sized weapon for wheel-gunners or an anything smaller than a PPK; 9 or .380. Glad you found a deal it sounds like. I still haven't made up my mind on a carry gun.

I looked at the LCP for my wife. I personally did not care for the feel of it (I have big hands). It felt too much like a toy (which I thought about a Glock 19 I held as well before th LCP). I could not see my wife having any kind of follow-up shot control with that little beast.

Glad to know people like it. Good for Ruger to have a product that fits a niche so well!

I wouldn't mind trying one out. I'll shoot anything at least once (still waiting to get my hands on a Desert Eagle!).

I wouldn't mind trying one out. I'll shoot anything at least once (still waiting to get my hands on a Desert Eagle!).

I already have. The .50 AE is a little dissappointing.

The .500 S&W Magnum on the other hand...That is a gun!!!

I looked at the LCP for my wife. I personally did not care for the feel of it (I have big hands). It felt too much like a toy (which I thought about a Glock 19 I held as well before th LCP). I could not see my wife having any kind of follow-up shot control with that little beast.

I did not the LCP the first time I held it. I like the small size. I do not want to carry a large gun in the summer. If you get the magazine with the finger support, it is a totally different gun.

Honestly for your wife, a hammerless revolver. Keep it simple. Don't make her have to worry about keeping one in the chamber, making sure the safety is on, fear of slide bites, ejection points, or anything else. If she ever has to pull a gun on someone, the last thing you want to happen is the have a missfire or a jam of some sort. With a revolver, she just squeezes the trigger again. Next bullet goes bang.

But that is just me. That is why my wife has a S&W revolver in .38 Special.

Tom

Ruger is really going for this small firearm conceal carry market. I think it is a good move for them. Here is an article on their latest offering. It is the revolver equivalent of the LCP.

Caymen, you had a cold gun until you posted about it here. :)

I have the P3AT, which, for all intents and purposes, is the same gun. Ruger knocked off the design, and in my opinion, put out a better looking pistol. The LCP (and P3AT) achieves something that I think is critical for people who concealed carry: It dramatically reduces the number of times you are without your weapon. Because it's so light and small, it fits right in your pocket and is barely noticable as you go about your normal day.

Is it fun to shoot? Not particularly. Is it easy to shoot accurately? No. Is it a gun that will last through many thousands of rounds of range shooting. Probably not.

Will it be with you on a day you didn't feel like dragging around your Colt 1911 or your Glock 19?

Yes.

And that's what counts.

What scares me about the LCR is the weight. If Theresa's S&W J-Frame hits as hard as it does, the LCR will be terrifing, especially with +P ammo.

Definatly not a gun for those with weak hands or a fear of recoil. I bet it kicks like a mule.

Tom

Meant to add: I recommend you get two holster for that piece:

1) An inside-the-pocket version. Lots of commercial choices. I made my own from a couple of pieces of scrap leather.

2) The Fobus paddle holster. More accessible than pocket carry when you have a concealing garment to cover it. Better for situations such as sitting down in the driver's seat of the ST, where a pocket draw would require a lot of squirming around.

1) An inside-the-pocket version. Lots of commercial choices. I made my own from a couple of pieces of scrap leather.

I already got one of those.

2) The Fobus paddle holster. More accessible than pocket carry when you have a concealing garment to cover it. Better for situations such as sitting down in the driver's seat of the ST, where a pocket draw would require a lot of squirming around.

Actually, a guy at work has a holster that goes between your belt and pants. You can place it about anywhere. It is about the size of a knife sheath. Very small and very compact. I will inquire about that one first. I really like the size of that small one. From there, I will explorer others.

Tom

Latest posts