Gophers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoriMaury Kimbrough

Reaction score
I need to know if any of you have any experience getting rid of gophers.

We've got a problem in our yard and the little jerks have cost us hundreds of dollars in plants. They've eaten their way through 8 roses bushes, 3 fruit trees, my blackberries, raspberries, grapes and most of my garden this last summer. We've tried everything that we can think of and several ideas from the internet. We've tried the smoke bombs, the poison, we've tried drowning them out and we even put used cat litter around plants. The theory behind the cat little was that cats are a natural predator and the odors from used litter would keep them away. Didnt work for us.

We called an exterminator and they want $75/hole with no guarantee that they will actually kill them. The only thing we havent tried are those gadgets that emit a tone that is supposed to scare them off.

Since there seems to be someone on this board that knows something about everything, I thought Id try here.

If I dont find a resolution soon, my wonderful hubby is going to go Caddyshack on the little suckers and will probably end up blowing up everything we own.

Give Carl a call, he'll get rid of the Varmint Cong!:lol::p:banana:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bv87T1CQF8E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bv87T1CQF8E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Either that or just come up w/ a cheating scandal and you can wipe away the Gopher's Basketball team record from there last Final 4 appearance....Wait a minute you're talking about actual gophers, not the MN Golden Gophers:lol:

I know it works on some lawn rodents, try putting big league chew (other gum might work) in front of the wholes, they swallow it and can't digest it and they die, I think. Otherwise get some of the little cage traps

TRAIN TRAC!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I had problems in California. It seemed the only thing that worked for me was to water the lawn so it was mostly saturated. They would move to neighbor's yards, because they didn't like to be wet all the time.

Or maybe you could use this idea from another thread: http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1166852&REPLYCOUNT=5&sitename=mysporttrac

The sonic things do nothing, nor do the smoke bombs etc.

We had a landscaped acre in our last house, lots of Gophers, got rid of them.

They make a device that has a spike about 3 ft long, has a canister with a crank, I got it from an exterminator supply company along with the poisen which is industrial grade.

You probe the ground near the holes, when you feel it break into a tunnel, you turn the crank and deposit the poison, worked great.

two other things that also worked, at first light I would get up in an upstairs window and shoot them with my pellit rifle, in our raised beds with real soft soil, my wife was deadly with a 4 tined pitchfork, good luck.

Get some anhydrous ammonia and let the gas flow into the holes, that kills em good.

What also works is sevoflorane, also isoflorane and ether, soak a rag, stuff the rag in the hole, cover.

They have a cardiac event and die.

train,

:lol::lol::lol:

an all-time classic.

check out the little noise they make in the movie, sound familiar?

same as a tv character...............

Here you go...The Rodenator Pro, bunker buster!

'07 ST:D

Like Nelson stated, keep the soil very moist and they will move on to the neighbors yards. Moist soil collapses the tunnels but once they move on, don't shut off the water cause they'll be back in no time!!!

Sure they're gophers and not ground hogs???? They're another story.

Uh, I wouldn't recommend anhydrous ammonia. Not only does it kill the gophers, but a lung-full will kill you, too. Plus, its a main ingredient for methamphetamine labs. Unless you are a farmer, you will probably end up under heavy scrutiny from various law enforcement agencies if you try to buy some.

Uh, I wouldn't recommend anhydrous ammonia. Not only does it kill the gophers, but a lung-full will kill you, too. Plus, its a main ingredient for methamphetamine labs. Unless you are a farmer, you will probably end up under heavy scrutiny from various law enforcement agencies if you try to buy some.

It isn't that bad, it sure will clear out your sinuses if you get a lung-full though. I used to work with it when I farmed. There are companies around here that go around with a propane tank of anhydrous and cure your gopher problems for you. It would take quite a bit to cause lung damage and kill you. Like any other chemical it should be treated with respect.

Latest posts