Goodbye American Car.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Alcaro

Reaction score
Ford Plant

This is fascinating. If you watch, listen to the very last couple of sentences.

This is a short video of a new Ford plant in Brazil . One look at this and you will be able to understand why there will probably never be another assembly plant built in the USA.

It will also point out why more assembly plants will go offshore.

You won't doubt that Ford, GM, and Chrysler are destined to go under, after watching this video.

They will survive, but their assembly operations in the U.S. likely won't, whether we provide a bailout or not, (listen closely at the end for the reason why).

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/multimedia/player/index.php?id=1189

well it clearly says that ford would love to have a plant like that in the US but its not allowed....

its a sweet plant though and with everything at their fingertips its a no brainer for them to build it where they did.

cuts down time, shipping, and labor... smart move

if we could provide the same here.... the possibilities...

The good old UAW.

I suppose your happy with being a consumer nation? We consume more than we produce.

Are you happy with our dollar being worth the printing press only?

Are you happy with the fact we owe Japan and China more money than we can ever pay for?

Are you happy with the fact you will eventualy own only 40% or less, of your pay check?

Blame unions and what ever you want. There are more at work against us than unions. Wall street gold diggers. Government over and wrong spending. Get a hold on the real economic problem. Quit blaming labor. Yes some unions need to rethink and revamp. mostly the north east. Im a southern union member. We dont have the no work clause for non members. But with out them. Non union jobs would pay minumin wage or less..:cheeky:

Can you say the USA can become a 3rd world country..it can happen..unions wont be the cause..:banghead:

Caymen,,step in and give your explanation, thanks

Quit blaming labor.

Unions are only one part of the problem and that is mostly the legacy issues with regards to retirement and health benefit. Wages seemed to been reduced and compromises mande in many areas. A bigger issue is the legacy promises made by our cities, counties, states and federal government. These also need to be revamped, otherwise much of our tax dollars are paid for retirement plans that are no longer affordable. Also, many of those receiving retirement money are allowed to double-dip and continue working. As you stated Eddie, these are only some of the elements of a bigger picture of Wall Street theft and a larger government workforce. We need to quit writing checks we can't cash.

Unions are only one part of the problem and that is mostly the legacy issues with regards to retirement and health benefit.

Is this caused by greedy union members or is this caused by short minded CEO's? Who is to blame if you spend every penny you make and have nothing for retirement? Do you blame the businesses you supported or do you blame yourself?

Pay me now, or pay me later. You got a choice, pay me $50/hour with no benefits or you can pay me $20/hr plus medical coverage and put some into investments and pay me my pension 40 years later, if I live long enough to collect on it. The difference is that invested correctly, my pension will not cost as much as the return.

Instead, CEO's raked in the millions and we are supposed to feel sorry for them.

Tom

Yawn.

When will people figure out the simple truth.

We moved industry out of the city and into the country because there were fewer restrictions and cheaper labor...that happened early in the last century.

Then, we moved industries and manufacturing to other countries, because there were fewer restrictions and cheaper labor. That happened at the 2nd half of the last century and continues today.

It is what it is folks. As long as there are people that live in an area (of the country or the world) that can "put tops on bottoms" cheaper than those that are doing that work now, then that work will move.

Plain, simply truths. Crying about it is like trying crying about the rain.

TJR

I pay taxes to the YO-YO's in washington. Give me the right to cry and complain. Raining or not...:supercool:

Eddie,

I didn't say you didn't have the right to cry and complain. I just don't see what good it does.

As for your last post, I don't see what paying taxes and Washington has to do with anything. The way I see it, we should pay federal taxes to support a standing military to protect all our states and for a few select other federal services. Beyond that, I don't want to pay taxes for anything, and I certainly don't want our government telling me (as the owner of a corporation) or other corporate officials how they should run their business. I believe in capitalism and free enterprise. If I run my business well, I attract customers and make a profit. If I don't, then the business fails. It's that simple.

Keep the government out of business and business would run better.

The government has tried to regulate oil, auto, financial, medical, banking corporations (and others) and in all cases the regulations appear to have done more harm than good.

If I have to cry to the yo-yo's in Washington try to get them to protect our domestic companies against global competitors, than in my opinion, the domestics have already lost.

TJR

The more we move jobs to other countries the more we destroy our way of life. Without going into detail, the UK allowed its industrial base for a certain manufacturing technology die. Now the UK has to use the services of another country to build products for their own national security.

Would we be happy letting China build bombs for our security? Wake up people.

I went into a bike store the other day. Top end bikes, like Trek and Cannondale are now made in China. Thats right, they still sell for the same price as they did when they were made in the USA.

What did I tell the sales lady?

"There is no reason to buy a Trek. If I need a bike, I will buy it at Wal-Mart since they are Chinese junk now."

Tom

Caymen,

Put your money where your mouth is Caymen.

Instead of pi$$ing in the wind, start your own company. Build your own "American Made by Americans" brand, and sell it. If it's so great for America, and for Americans, you should make money hand over fist...right?

It's the American dream. Go for it!

TJR

I put my money where my mouth is. I buy American built anything I can.

Sure, I could start my own business, but I already have a job.

Tom

Caymen,

You say the more jobs we move overseas the more we lose our way of life.

Okay, PROVE IT! That trend started decades ago...well before some of the biggest economic booms this country has ever seen.

WalMart kills the American way of life...okay, PROVE IT! WalMart has provided jobs to communities where before there were none, and created consumer choices and selection (and low prices) where before there was little competition.

Unions preserve the American way of life...okay, PROVE IT! Talk to the steelworkers union members in Allentown and Bethlehem PA. Did the unions help or hurt the American steel industry?

Put simply, the American way of life to ME means choices, and means independence, and means NOT being told what to do by my government or by my fellow American.

The American people have spoken. American corporations have spoken. Just like our move from an agri-economy to an industrialized nation, then from industry in cities to industry in rural areas and suburbs, and now to industry off-shores, our country is adapting...it is evolving. Evolve or die.

To those with few choices and those that cling to the old ways, it seems as if the sky is falling during evolution.

But to the majority of Americans and America as a whole, manufacturing done overseas is not hurting, but it is helping. You will disagree due to myopia, but make no mistake...it is the truth.

You can't see that because you and yours are part of the "putting tops on bottom folks". I'm sure my great grandfather was pi$$ed when the family farms were going the way of the dodo. I'm sure he beat his chest. I'm sure his past prosperity was shaken and he had it tougher until he adapted (assuming he did).

In the same way, autoworkers and factory workers can no longer make $30/hour (or more), retire after 25 years and with a pension, full benefits, healthcare and social security. Boo-f'ing-who. Join the club. The gravy train has left the station. That way of life was never sustainable. It just wasn't. It took a couple of generations to figure that out.

Now is where you talk about fat-cat execs and CEOs. Those are your scapegoats to blame for the change that is happening. But the change doesn't have to be bad, not for the country as a whole.

That change is called progress. Those that suck on the teat of the "old ways" long enough get fattened by it and cry when things change. But change is inevitable, and sooner or later the teat runs dry. Stop sucking, Tom. Start looking for another teat.

Get on board or be left behind.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I need to prove it? OK. Look at the unemployment rates going up. There is no way a society can deliver pizza's to each other to financial freedom. An industrial base is crucial to a countries freedom and security. I would not be happy needing another country build products for my national security.

This will be the death of America.

When many in the auto industry got the 30 and out (not 25 and out) they did not make $30.00/hr. Of course, what do I know. It is not like my family was in the auto industry and knows what the contracts said.

Tom

Caymen said:
When many in the auto industry got the 30 and out (not 25 and out) they did not make $30.00/hr. Of course, what do I know. It is not like my family was in the auto industry and knows what the contracts said.

That's it...throw out the baby with the bath water and toss in some sarcasm to boot. $30 or more, or less; 25 years, or 30...you know what my point was. But rather than discuss it you pull out the sarcasm card which implies you have no point to make.

Unemployment is high now because of the economy. Ever hear the saying "it's the economy stupid!"....well, that's the problem. Unemployment was bad in the 70s too, but we have had a boom or two since that time. Loss of manufacturing jobs has been going on for decades...well before the 70s. Loss of manufacturing jobs is NOT what is causing today's unemployment. Maybe it is contributing to it, but it is not causing it. People don't make cars, here or abroad, when people don't buy cars. People don't buy cars when they are worried for their job. People are worried for their job when companies are insolvent. Companies are insolvent when the economy is bad. The economy is bad for any number of complex reasons; the biggest one these days being "consumer confidence". Put in simplest terms, we are in a viscious cycle that we can't get seem to get out of. We can't tax, or spend, or regulate our way out of it, I am afraid (so seems to be the case given the past decade).

You keep talking about national security. That's broken record stuff. You seem to imply that we don't have, or can't build the war weapons we will need for the next major war. Do you have any PROOF of that? I'd like to see the studies.

The way I see it is that we no longer fight wars the same way we did in WWII, back when we had to out produce other countries in hulking, steel war machines. We have evolved past those days. Steel simply isn't as important to our national security in 2010 as it was 70 years ago. I'm not saying it is NOT important; I'm just saying not AS IMPORTANT, and certainly not needed in the quantities we saw in the 1940s.

Many will say it was brains, not brawn (or might, or machines) that ultimately won WWII. I am not trying to trivialize the sacrifices of our men on the ground...not at all. I'm just talking about how technology has continued to evolve how wars are fought, before then, during the end of WWII, and since.

I'm much more concerned that Johnny can't seem to get motivated to get an engineering degree than I am that Johnny can't get a factory job that allows his wife to stay home, squeeze out three kids, have a house in the burbs, two cars, and can retire well after 30 years. The lack of the former, IMHO, is hurting America more than the lack of the latter.

I'll grant that through your job you know more about the importance of steel and manufacturing to our country in time of war. But, still, I'm not an idiot. One thing I know is human nature. What I know about humans is that most complain about the things that affect them the most. In addition, most tend to "over-simplify" the common problems that affect us all. Most think there are easy solution to complex problems, and to make matters worse most spend a lot of time pursuing complex solutions to simple problems.

Case-in-point of a simple problem: Weight loss. Some feel that's a complex problem requiring complex solutions like fad diets and exercise equipment, etc. For health reasons I have lost 55 lbs since Feb. No fad diet. No exercise equipment. It was simple, actually. Eat less, eat healthier food, exercise more...it is that simple. I didn't have to pay anyone to figure it out. However, it would have been HARD to solve that problem if I didn't want to take responsibility for my situation.

Now, today, we have people that are under-employed. We have people that have lost their way of life because manufacturing jobs have left this country. A complex (non)solution would be to bitch, complain, expect the govt to solve the problem through regulation etc. A simple solution would be to do any of the following: a. move to where the jobs are; b. change jobs c. start your own manufacturing company.

These problems aren't complex. Personal situations are just that, personal. Rather than complain about things going down the tubes, maybe some individuals should simply jump out of the draining tub???

TJR

No sarcasm. I would like to see how many people worked 25 years and made $30/hr. It simply isn't true. It is made up propaganda and we suck it up like the suckers we are. We are brainwashed that the best thing to do is to send all jobs overseas and we all will see an economic boom. Give me a break.

If we follow the footsteps of the UK, we will find ourselves with no manufacturers that build products to protect us. The UK is in this situation right now. They have allowed some key companies involved with the UK's Navy program die.

This could happen in the USA. If we continue to support companies to leave this country and take manufactuing with it, we will have to rely on another country to build them for us.

You can think we fight wars different than we used to. You are correct, to a point. Ships are still made out of steel and bullets are still made out of lead. If we follow the UK's footsteps, we will be contacting China to build our weapons.

They may not comply.

Tom

Caymen,

Ever hear the old saying: "How do you keep them on the farm when they have seen the big city?"

Well, I paraphrase to ask you the same question: "How do we keep manufacturing in America when it is so much more attractive to companies (and consumers) to move it offshore?"

Exactly how?

Do we do it through government incentives? Through government regulations?

Either of those measures and more like them typically mean bigger government, higher taxes, and less choices for the consumer...all while the consumer pays for that privelege.

Do you have any other ideas on how to keep manufacturing here that doesn't involve our government? If so, I'm all for listening to them and would be very inclined to support them if they involved a free market, corporate autonomy where it makes sense, and consumer choice.

TJR

"How do we keep manufacturing in America when it is so much more attractive to companies (and consumers) to move it offshore?"

I can't see how it can be attractive to buy imported goods.

Tom

Caymen, Les, correct.

The business of most businesses is making money.

If a farmer can use machinery instead of paying labors, and in the process save money but displace jobs do we complain about it villify the farmer?

If a corporation lays off its HR and accouting dept personnel and outsources those jobs to specialized companies that provide those services at a lower cost do we complain about it and villify the corporation?

If a company moves its headquarters out of a big city and across state lines into a new, up and coming area that has lower costs of operations, taxes, etc, do we complain about it and villify the company?

Most see the above as simple, straightforward "business" decisions.

Choosing to produce and/or manufacture goods in an area of the country or the world where labor and other total costs is lower is just a business decision.

I would LOVE it if companies were smart enough, run well enough, and had good enough products and services and sold "premium brands" so that their goods and services could be produced and manufactured in America, by Americans. I would LOVE that. Fewer and fewer products and companies seem to fit that bill these days, I'm afraid.

So, again, what exactly is wrong with offshoring manufacturing? Why is it any different than the examples I gave above?

TJR