~ Goldsboro NC?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Potts

Reaction score
The Wifey and I are talking about leaving FL... for too many reasons.

I have about 2 years left at my current assignment and have the option to move afterwards.

We are thinking about Goldsboro North Carolina (Seymore Johnson AFB)

Anyone been there? How is the area? How is the climate?

thanks

Well.......I do declare....North Carolina.......

I've never been there, but heard they talk funny in those parts :) I have been to South Carolina and found it to be a place I wouldn't mind living. It's been years, but when I was there the weather was great.....lot more trees than you find around these parts of N. Texas.

Doug, what do you do with the Airforce?

Here's satalite pix of the area, the air base is seen at the bottom of the pix

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love NC. Went there once and tried like heck to transfer to the state. Never made it but it sure is beautiful country...especially the Boone/Blowing Rock area. Hope you get to make the move.

Gary G

Kewl......was curious because when I was a youngin, I wanted to join the AF but they wouldn't take me because of my vision issues. I would have loved to have been a pilot and fly one of those F-18's. The closest I ever came was with MS Flight Simulator...only took me about 60 tries to land on a carrier. :) Guess it's best they didn't enlist me. :lol:

Before taking the plunge, you two should take a flight or drive up there and check the place out to see if you both would be happy living there.

leaving florida, my favorite place :(

doug,

in the early 80's i lived in charlotte. imo, north carolina is a great place to live. you have the ocean nearby and the mountains a few hours away.

i am kicking myself for not buying when i was living there

My G-parents live in Kinston (about 40 miles east of Goldsboro), and I still have family in the Goldsboro area too. It is a fair sized city, I think that Seymore Johnson is the primary employer. There is a large population from Goldsboro that works in Raleigh. Real estate is reasonable, and the economy isn't too bad overall. Alot of farm land still in the out lying areas. It has it's share of 'da' hood', but not too bad of a place overall.

North Carolina is pretty nice.

It is centrally located to alot of stuff driving wise.

Just got back from Myrtle Beach and drove by the

Shaw AFB area, its in the middle of nowhere.

With your AFSC you could go anywhere, that's a big plus.

When I was Active duty, I could only go the 13 places (Bases) around the world!

Kinda limited. Hope you make a good choice where ever that may take you.

AIM High!

and thanks for your service!:D

Bud

i have lived in north carolina my whole life. in a small town near charlotte. i feel like ive gone through goldsboro before but never spent much time there. but i love it here. the weather is great. summers dont get too crazy hot and winters dont get crazy cold. not much snow the past few years. some one earlier said something about boone. i love that area. i go visit my friends at app there a lot. beautiful mountains. i dont think you would be disappointed moving up here.

Relocated to NC in 2005 from PA. I live about an hour and a half west of Goldsboro. Can't speak specifically about Goldsboro since I only pass through there on the way to the beach and sometimes for work, but the area in general is booming. Economy is very stable, weather is good, and you have the beach about an hour and a half to the east and the mountains about 3 hours to the west. All in all a GREAT place to live! I can tell you that they have recently completed the US 70 bypass around Clayton, so for trips westbound from Goldsboro, you'll be spared some traffic headaches.

There is a HUGE military presence in NC. Fort Bragg, Camp Lejune, Seymore-Johnson AFB, Pope AFB, Cherry Point MCAS, New River MCAS, USGCAS in Elizabeth City, and I'm sure I'm missing some.

<A HREF="http://www.ci.goldsboro.nc.us/">Here</A> is the town website, in case you haven't already looked...

Let me know if you guys are thinking of taking a trip up this way to test it out.

when I was a youngin, I wanted to join the AF but they wouldn't take me because of my vision issues. I would have loved to have been a pilot and fly one of those F-18's.

DF,

Even if you had become an AF pilot, you still wouldn't have been qualified to fly a F/A-18. It's flown only by the best aviators in the word: Naval and Marine Corps Aviators!:D

[Broken External Image]:

TrainTrac..........Ok, so maybe I should have tried the Navy I would have worked my way up to become "Top Gun" :) I was cocky enough back then to take major risks.

Kewl pix btw

Looks good. Relatively close to Myrtle & Virginia Beach, golf course right near the base, close to Raleigh, unless it's part of the base there appears to be a school with track and an outdoor pool (two diving boards), baseball fields, etc.

Latest posts