Goaning Noise?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Green

Reaction score
I have a 02 ST I have turned the torsion bars to level the front and I have put 265/75/16's on it. I have begun to have a groaning sound coming from the front of my truck when I steer. Its not constant but it does happen at least once while turning completely one direction or the other. Almost similiar to a grinding noise. Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be? I'm thinking tie rods, is that possible for the noise. My truck has 70,000 miles on it and it is 2wd. Thank you for any help!!!

Michael

Tires rubbing? Mine rub all the time, turning, even if I just slow down real fast, no big deal.

Might be the powersteering pump...there have been some problems....maybe someone can chime in more about it and the TSB#...

Edit: also if it happening when you have your steering turned all the way one direction or the other...It could be you need to grease your steering stops on the lower control arms..

Last edited by a moderator:
It's kinda hard to guess from a description, but when you mentioned it being similar to a grinding noise, I remembered the problem I had recently. The brake pins seem to have a probblem of getting grimey and nedd to be greased well. Mine were stuck and ground thru my pads and into my rotor on the driver's side brakes. I couldn't get them loose until I put some heat on them. Before I did the brake job I was having alot of grinding noises which seemed to be more noticable in a turn but eventually made the grinding sound all the time. Might be something to check out.

Thanks everyone, I got under the truck last night and looked around. It ended up being the bushing that the bolt that mounts the rack and pinion to the front support. obviously they forgot to put the washer back on when they replaced the rack and pinion this past year. I took it end today and they were trying to charge me for them to look at it. I told them that they were crazy and that it was there stupid technician that left it off. I'll be picking it up tomorrow I'll keep ya'll informed on who wins! haha