ghost in my radio

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim OLeary

Reaction score
the radio in my '02 turns itself on and off, and while the radio is on, it will look for a CD or display ERR, then resume operating. Some CDs skip.

None of these symptoms seem to be associated with bumps or hitting the brakes or operating lights, etc.

When I remove CDs they feel very warm, but maybe that's normal, they don't distort.

I think I need a new radio, or swap out, but one out of another 02' will probably be ready to die too. Can anyone suggest a cost effective source for another radio, and are they difficult to remove/replace? I do not need audiophile quality.

Thanks in advance

Try pulling both fuses. It will let the radio reboot. That might help. Also use a CD head cleaner.

Also there is an issue with electrical gremlins. When our battery starts to get weak. Might want to get it load tested.

Eddie, can't say I agree with using a CD cleaner, I've seen the lens brush destroy

a few high end home players.

The laser diode is extremely delicate, best way to clean it is opening the case.

Also common for paper CD labels to peel and jam, could also be a weak laser pickup.

Not worth servicing for the price of parts and labor. Watch the swap and sell,

or buy an entry level name brand aftermarket head unit. GL

Last edited by a moderator:
my 01 radio volume does things the channel changes cd changes then it will stop just as it soon as it starts i have cleaned and reset it does nothing for the issue

good luck i have NOTfound a solution yet

My volume occasionally just turns up regardless of the direction I turn the knob. It's particularly embarrassing sitting in traffic or in a parking lot. I sit there trying to turn the radio down and the volume just goes even higher. It's a pretty rare occurrence so I haven't spent much time trying to figure out a fix just yet, but when it does happen, it is maddening. That's the only problem I've had with it so far, but will just go double din when the time comes for replacement.

I really don't like to be in my Sport Trac on 35s letting the world know about my Beiber fever.:bwahaha:

Try Crutchfield for replacement radios. They have wiring harnesses and installation kits that make it easy.

The radio in my 2003 didn't like to give CD's back. It was a struggle to change CD's, so I got a new radio instead.

thanks for the ideas. The battery has been recently replaced so that's not it.

As was commented, even thought the exact problem MIGHT be a simple loose connection, the age of the unit and the labor required to service it make replacement to course of least resistance and fastest resolution.

Crutchfield it is!

Thanks for the support!