getting no response - need help w/ 12" sub

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Abson 3

Reaction score
So I have tried to get information from Hatchbox, but no luck.

Has anyone put in a 12" sub in thier trac without major modifications? If so, how?

I have a great JBL 12" sub that I would like to use, but will go with an old Punch 10" if I have to.

I have basic woodworking skills, no fiberglass capabilities. And I am willing to remove or cut out anything that can be done easily. Any help would be appreciated.

I contacted these guys, via email, asking the for specs to a sub box for my truck https://www.soundoffaudio.com/item.cfm/id/2103

They actually answered all my questions, and have me specs for my truck.

From what I understand getting a 12" between the seats is next to impossible, and if you do the sound quality will suffer... stick with the 10"

I have dual 12"s in mine right now and I guarantee it out beats anyone on here who still has a back seat :) Your biggest issue is going to be depth... you can use a router and take some out of the MDF at the bottom for magnet clearance, but that's about it. It just takes a lot of measuring and measuring again! Let me know if I can help!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Jerry. try this link below. They make enclosures for both the gen 1 and gen 2 sport tracs. Don't know if they do 12"ers or not, but they make a nice product for behind the seat. Was looking at doing a pair of 10"(has to be shallow mount woofers) Kicker makes subs to fit. You can get a dual, carpeted and with external connectors built in for like $129.00. Check it out. Bob

@Ben, Id like to find you sometime and see who's louder :) I have 2 10's in mine running at 1,200w and all my speakers amplified :p

Ben, did you make the enclosure or ahve it made by a shop? How about some more pictures and demensions of the enclosure, preferably of the back of the enclosure.

:haveabeer:

Ben! Thats brilliant! Just like Mr. Gerner asked, if there are any further details you can provide, that would be great!

your set up is exactly what I am looking for. I plan on putting the amp and capacitor exactly where the current amp is, and figured I would need a box that covers the whole back, so the fact that you have done it is brilliant! If you could be so kind as to provide dimensions and material thickness used, I would be forever in your debt!

Wait, explain to me how you removed the support under the short seat? I have a bar right about where the top part of the lower 12" (as looking at the picture) which makes it so that I can't even get the 12" in loose. Is that a bar just for the factory sub, or is it a support that we need? I don't really want to rest the seat on the sub box.

And I did put the sub in loose, it does fit, resting directly against the topmost seat, I get about 1/2" to 3/4" clearance, enough for some sturdy wood!

Would love to get the support question answered, and maybe dimension? :grin::grin:

Let me get back to you tonight guys... I have lots of pictures and details. I have to look at least some what productive at work today :)

Thanks for the kind words guys!

p.s. I have a fiberglassed box for dual 10"s I'd be willing to get rid of. It wasn't loud enough for me, hence why I went 12"s.

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply... it was a busy weekend.

@Tyler

Sounds good man... I've only hit 133.4db at a local DB Drag race.

@Jerry

I built the enclosure myself and by no means am I a professional carpenter. I'm just an engineer and meathead that can't sit still or leave things stock...

I'm currently in Canada working and do not have access to the enclosure for measurements. I can however tell you what all you need to do for a similar enclosure.

First: Make sure you pick a subwoofer with a low profile. I picked out the Audiobahn woofers simply because they are made for narrow enclosures.

As you can tell, I cut out the two center brackets shown below ( in green).

I also cut out the brackets that the seat cusion clips to (in red). I ended up using some zip ties to pull the cusion back tight to the main frame bar. The reason i cut these out was incase the sub ever made contact. It was close enough i didn't want to risk it. You might not have to in your application.

You can also see that I butted the back of the box up against the rubber flooring and angled the MDF to maximize internal volume.

[Broken External Image]:

I then used a piece of cardboard to stencil the floor print of each side of the tunnel. I transfered this to some MDF and fit it a few times. I also put in the front and rear vertical pieces. I did the small pieces because I did fiberglass on the front back and two sides. If you don't want to use fiberglass, you can run solid pieces. *note the floor to seat heights are not the same on either side of the hump. I know one side is like 3/4" lower.

One side of the box assembled.

[Broken External Image]:

Here's the box with the top test fited to make sure I had clearance/fitment before fiberglassing.

[Broken External Image]:

Here's where I clamped the two sides together and starting laying fiberglass and resin.

[Broken External Image]:

If you don't want to use fiberglass, you would just make a "box out" over the hump and it would take you 1/10th the time to build that box. I used the fiberglass because I wanted as much interior volume as possible. Obviously 3/16" of fiberglass is smaller than 3/4" MDF.

Here's a shot of the back. You can see how well the fiberglass contours to the floor.

[Broken External Image]:

Front of the box getting ready for resin and fiberglass.

[Broken External Image]:

Fiberglass complete and final test fit before bed liner.

[Broken External Image]:

Here is a shot while getting rhino-lined. I thought that would be better than carpet. I wish I would have got a shot from the side facing away as that's the side that butts up to the back of the truck.

[Broken External Image]:

All finished with subs installed. The subwoofer ring had these built in woofer guards that stuck up way too high, so I chopped them down.

[Broken External Image]:

Let me know what questions you have guys and I'll get some dimensions when I get back home as I have to install this box in my new ST.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude! Thanks so much! You may get dimensions to me before I can try your measuring technique, but we'll try to lift the seats, I thought I would have to remove them! I don't have a low pro sub, but I did a test fit, and it will rest just below the seat, and still give me between half to 3/4 inch clearance, so half inch.mdf should work!

Thanks again for all these tips! Eager to see what dimensions you end up with compared to mine!