George Strait & Reba McEntire Concert

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard L

Reaction score
I went to the George Strait and Reba McEntire concert in Austin, TX last night. What a fabulous night of entertainment. Last night was the first show of their new tour and they were pumped as was the audience.

If this show comes to your area it is well worth the price of admission and 1.5 hour long traffic jams to see it. The show also includes Lee Ann Womack who is the opening act and does about a 30 minute concert, but Reba and George do separate shows that are over 1.5 hours long each...So you are talking about a concert that is well over 4 hours long with short intermissions between acts. It started at 7:00pm and did not end until nearly 11:30pm

Tickets were kind of pricey at nearly $500 for two tickets (2 months ago), but we were only about 50 feet from the stage and had a perfect view. Ticket prices may vary in your area, but I suspect that the tickets for the Austin show were a bit higher than most other places.

Ticket prices at the Erwin Center in Austin varied from about $89 to about $500 each. Some tickets right at the edge of the stage were over $1200...and I'm pretty sure every seat in the building was sold out.

I am not a huge CW fan, but George and Reba are the King and Queen superstars of CW and are about as good as it gets !

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
RL..Since this was in Austin. Did the Austin City Limits crew tape it? If so it might be braodcast on PBS some saturday night, in the future.

Eddie,

I don't know, there were a lot of cameramen onstage and the overhead monitors were showing a lot of different camera shots, as well as shots of Texas scenery, that fit in with the songs...especially during George Strait's performance since he and his whole Ace In The Hole band are from Texas...except for two backup singers who were fron Nashville, TN.

It was funny that you should mention Austin City Limits, because he mentioned it in the lyrics of one of his songs as they showed an Austin City Limits road sign on the monitors...Of course a hugh deafening roar went up from the crowd. The song was all about Texas and included referances to the Dallas Cowboys, Univ. of Texas Longhorns, Austin City Limits, Ft. Worth Stock Yards, etc (MYST even had the annual National Sport Trac meet at the Ft. Worth Stock Yards back in 2005 or 2005?

So to answer your question, I think there was a lot of taping going on but I don't know if it is for any TV program or for a video that can be purchased at some future date?

I took a few videos with my Blackberry, but they are very hard to see (did not know that my camera had a zoom until after the concert??) I was actually stopped by security and told that I was not allowed to make videos of the concert. He did not attempt to confiscate my phone or anything, just a courtesy warning. I still did a few more videos discretely by turning off the LED video light, so they could not tell I was making a video. I will try to post some here in a few day, but they are in a 3G phone format that requires RealPlayer to work, so we will see what happens.

...Rich

I have seen Reba for the first show after she lost her band in that plane wreck.

Reba and George used to be the greats in Country Music, but the new stuff, IMO, does not have the charm and quality of the old stuff.

If I am going to listen to Reba, I will listen to her early stuff when she actually sang like a songbird. As for George Strait, Pure Country was the last real album. Anything after that is only hit or miss. Anything before Pure Country was always albums filled with nothing but great songs with one right after the other.

Tom

Caymen,

Reba used to use Brooks and Dunn as her band but this is a new band, and I might say they are terriffic.

Reba sang many of her old number 1 hits, and only sang 2 songs from her latest CD.

I personally like the new CW better than a lot of the old "Tear in my beer" songs of years gone bye. Most of the old stuff is a little to sad, and depressing. I think the new CW is taking over where the old rock & roll left off, but with a bit of a Country twist.

Reba is a complete entertainer and I enjoyed her performance the most. She gets a 10 from me and George was a close 9

Yes, George is a little bit more of the old twangy CW and he even starts out his show with a song about "More Twang", but he is still very good and you certainly can tell he is far better than most CW singers.

I found it very entertaining, and like I said, I am not a huge CW fan yet I could easily tell I was watching a first class performance by some of the greatest living CW superstars.

...Rich

Personally, I prefer the country of the 60's to the early 90's. After that, it went too Rock-a-billy. Some new people I like, but for the majority of them, give me an Eddie Rabbit or Keith Whitley CD and I am in heaven. Early Hank Jr. is awesome too!

Tom

sounds like a great show. :supercool:

hope you went to chuy's for dinner :grin:

btw : :worthless:

ole' time CW, how about charlie rich !! "

"Brooks and Dunn" ... took my mom years ago and i have to say it was better then i thought.

Was just looking at the tour schedule on George's web site (couldn't find it on Reba's site) and it looks like they are not making it to SoCal with this tour. The closest they get is Fresno on Feb 4th. Don't think I want to have to make a 300 mile round trip journey just to see them. I hope maybe they add some venues to the tour before they are finished.

Uncle Bob, I don't know if they will add additional venues as the tour progresses. I had to drive about 220 miles round-trip to see this concert in Austin, but it was well worth it.

There is not much entertainment that makes it to Waco (too small) so I have to go to Dallas/Ft Worth or Austin to see some really good shows. Heck you have to go to Austin or Dallas area just to go to a comedy club...and I do that about once every month or so.

...Rich.

Caymen,

I liked some of the earlier country...in fact many of the country hits made it over to the rock & roll charts and were big hit there as well. The first time I hear Conway Twitty was on a Rock & Roll radio station in Cleveland, Ohio...probably in the late 1950's or very early 1960's.

Of course I always like Johnny Cash and most of his music (some very Rock-a-billy) made it to the Rock & Roll charts as well.

The kind of country I don't care for is the real twangy nasal sound along with a lot of heavy bluegrass music. Surprisingly I don't mind most bluegrass instrumentals...as long as they don't start singing.... I feel that is why I like more of the newer CW music, because the singing and writing talent has gotten so much better over the past 20 years or so.

Just my opinion, and everyone listens and has a different opinion of different styles of music and different musical artist...I guess that is why there are so many different artist and so many different styles of music. Having said that, I think the majority of CW music fans would rate George Strait and Reba McEntire as two of the best simply because they are the biggest attraction to more fans in general, and you know you are going to hear some good music from them.

...Rich

I think the majority of CW music fans would rate George Strait and Reba McEntire as two of the best simply because they are the biggest attraction to more fans in general, and you know you are going to hear some good music from them.

I pretty much said that, except that the true talent of those two were 20+ years ago. What they play today just isn't as good as it used to be.

The same as I feel about Jimmy Buffett. His albums before 1995 was simply awesome. The lyrics had realy meaning, the music was pure, and it was just brilliant work. While I loved the Fruidcakes album, I noticed that the music went more mainstream. The albums not have 1 or 2 really good songs and the rest are "just OK".

Still, by far, Jimmy Buffett is my favorite recording artist, but I think he really needs to go back to his roots.

The same with George Strait and Reba. I think they are good, but not as good as they used to be. Where you got an album and every song was awesome.

It just isn't that way anymore.

Tom

Tom,

Any entertainment act that can pack a house like George and Reba, did are certainly not washed up has-beens. They are still on the top of the charts with their songs, and people will still pay a lot of money to see them.

If you want to go see old washed up has-beens, got to Las Vegas or Branson. There are some great entertainers there but have not a hit record (or any new CD's) in 20+ years or more. They still put on a great show but many of the newer generation have never heard of them, or only heard of them because they heard them on an Oldies radio station.

George Strait and Reba McEntire have spanned numerous generations and they are still two of the top performing CW artist still releasing new CD's and making touring to sell out crowds with $200+ tickets.

I understand that you may prefer their older music to their new stuff, and others may agree. I think their timeless popularity and enduring talent still has them at the top of the CW fan list. They are still very talented entertainers even in this new music age, and they are still far above most of the new CW talent. Few entertainers that were popular 20+ years ago even make new CD's or even tour anymore let alone attract as many fans. You may not like some of their newer stuff, but it appeals to the new generation and that's why they are still as popular with the new generations as the were with the older.

...Rich

Reba used to use Brooks and Dunn as her band but this is a new band

?

Brooks & Dunn was an American country music duo consisting of Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn, who were both vocalists and songwriters. They were paired by record producer Scott Hendricks in 1991. Before the duo's foundation, both members of the duo were solo recording artists. Brooks wrote songs for John Conlee, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Highway 101 and released a solo album for Capitol Records; both he and Dunn also charted two solo singles apiece in the 1980s.

Les,

It may be that Brooks and Dunn were vocalist, but Reba introduced everyone in her band and said that they used to use Brooks and Dunn in her tour band but they had split up? Perhaps they were just the vocalist for Reba's band?

I said I was not a big CW fan, and the event center was very noisy. So even though I heard of Brooks & Dunn, I don't know who they are. So Reba probably said that Brooks and Dunn where in her old band...not that they were the old band? Sorry...My misunderstanding.

...Rich

Brookes and Dunn were openers for Reba for years...saw them open for her when she played Radio City over 20 years ago, before B&D made it big.

TJR

KL,

Good to know that you retained your 3rd grade arithmatic skills after all these years...:grin:

TJR,

Like I said, I heard the name Brooks and Dunn, but did not know who they were. Reba mentioned them when she was introducing the individual members of her band. She said that B&D used to be part of her tour, but not this year since they split up? I misunderstood, and thought they were a group or band that played for her...I did not know if B&D sang, danced, played instruments, or were trained monkeys...for all I know they could have been a janitorial service that swept the floor after the show..:grin:

I'm sure all the true CW fans in the audience knew exactly who B&D were, but I am not a big CW fan, so I don't know all the performers and what hit recordings they are known for.

I don't know if Reba's current band is the same band that she has toured with in the past, But both Reba's and George's bands were outstanding. I guess one expects that from superstars of that caliber.

...Rich