Gen2 Towing - How Much Can it Handle?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Beelien

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback. I have a Gen2 with the 4.6l V-8, 4x4, trailer tow package and class IV hitch along with some performance enhancements (probably around 320 h.p.). Specs show a maximum tow rating of 6,990 lbs, and hitch weight of 730 lbs. Now I had planned to purchase a boat next year with a dry weight of 5,990 lbs and use the Trac to tow the boat only a couple of times of year (30 miles one way for storage at home, and maybe one longer trip ... less then 100 miles). I forgot to figure on the weight of the trailer (duh) :banghead: which looks to be around 1,500-2,000 lbs, plus gear/fuel, say 500 lbs. for a total of around 8,500 lbs. Do you think I can still use the Trac to tow this? What's the most weight anyone has towed? I would imagine there is a built in safety factor in the advertised capabilities, but an additional 20%?

My opinion would be you're pushing it a little. If you're on flat terain, then maybe you could get away with it. But personally, I think it would be a strain on the tranny and drivetrain.

Latest posts