Gen2 Shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Jolley

Reaction score
Has anyone actually changed the shocks on their Gen2 Trac? I went to Sears yesterday to see about getting a set of shocks installed. The guy there said they have no part number for the new Tracs and called 2 other suppliers that gave him the same answer.

I got home and did a search on a couple sites and I can't find a part number for the Trac specifically.

Do they use the same shock as the 06 to present Explorer?

The lack of aftermarket parts for these is really starting to get discouraging.

Mine only have 8K and they have sucked for about 7K. You would think with this vehicle in basically it's 3rd model year you could at least find a set of shocks for it.

I love the way my STA rides .... and it has about 29K on it right now.

Of course I have different springs, so maybe that's why it rides a little different!?

I've got 24k on mine and think it's fine (on my old '05 I put new shocks on at 12k). I can't say for sure, but I would think that regular late-model Explorer shocks should fit.

I always thought my ST rides like a skateboard. Especially compaired to my 03 sport trac. It's pretty stiff.

I just assumed it was the 20" wheels because I test drove a 07 Limited V8 and it had a much softer ride sitting on 18" wheels.

I have to clarify my above post since I was a little irritable yesterday. My Trac rides smooth compared to most vehicles, as a matter of fact I had a Nissan rental car a couple weeks ago and my Trac has a much better ride than the car did.

The shocks are not totally junk but, there are things I notice that tell me the shocks on these are cheap, for instance, some times when I hit a series of small dips in the road I can feel the tires loosing contact with the road after the first couple. There is more sway than a good pair of shocks would allow. They lack recovery.

This is by far one of the nicest riding vehicles I've driven but for just a little more they could be alot better.

I'm just very frustrated with the aftermarket availability of parts from these after owning F150s and Mustangs for the past 17 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ride of my 08 ST is also very good. The compression valving of the shock is good but IMO I think that the rebound is too fast and needs to slowed down a bit.

Latest posts