Gen II Trailer Brake Controller Installation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A K

Reaction score
Quite simply, if a Gen II has a seven-pin harness (with the class III/IV) towing package, is the vehicle pre-wired for a brake controller?

Pop's looking to go big with a trailer and I'll be doing the controller install. I'm hoping it's a simple plug and play somewhere under the dash, as opposed to running new wires out and under.

EDIT:

I also assume the Gen IIs have tranny coolers if they have the class III/IV towing package. Is there an need to add a second cooler, or is one enough? The trailer will weigh approximately 4,500-5,000 lbs loaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
The controller harness is under the dash just right of the steering column on all models. And I believe all the V8's have a cooler, and all models with a tow package. Not sure of the V6 setup.

Thanks, Brad. That's a good location for the harness as I'm going to install a Tekonsha P3 vertically in the console. Fishing the wires through the console tunnel and into the dash will be a breeze.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might also consider mounting it in the vacant switch covers on the dash if you have any. I was going to do that, but never took the time. And I use my Prodigy in two different rigs.

There is a actual plug that a pigtail harness hooks into there under the dash. It came with my new ST when I bought it. If you don't have it might want to take a trip to the dealer to pick one up. Nothing easier than simply plugging the harness in to use at, and unplugging it when you don't. I put a large piece of Velcro on the lower dash up by where your left knee would be at (Make sure you attach the "soft side" Velcro to the dash there since it will always be there) and Velcro to the top of my brake control. When I am using it it is secure and accessible. I would not imagine the harness costs that much at the dealer.

In the instruction that came with it, Ford calls it a "Jumper Harness".

Mine is a 2007, and the instructions that came in the bag with the harness all say 2006 Explorer/Mountaineer on it.

Part number is: 6L2T-14407-C

Linked here is a PDF Scan of the instruction sheet/diagrams that came with mine. Did it in high resolution for the tiny fine print they made it in. Hope this helps! Might still have to zoom/rotate to read.

Brad,

The Adrenalin doesn't have any vacant switches (except those very low by the shifter). I considered on top of the dash in the little change/junk tray, but that's where Pop puts his Garmin. My concern was drilling or screwing anything into the dash. When I was 16, Pop gave me his 1996 Explorer as my first car. It had a a brake controller installed on the lower dash (by the legs of the driver) with screws, and those holes always bothered me after I took it out. :) So, I want to keep it hidden as much as possible.

A1,

It appears Tekonsha sells harnesses. I priced the P3 on etrailer, and when you select your install vehicle (I used 2008 Explorer as the 2008 SportTrac only shows options for a 4-pin connecter), it is titled "with wiring for the 2008 Explorer by Ford" and mentions adapter 3035P.

796641ec904405e5f8b27ddc30de495a.jpg

I assume that's a stock photo.

Thank you very much for the PDF of the wiring! One of the things I like to do before actually undertaking any project is studying the heck out of it, so when I actually do it, it takes minimal time without snags. The diagram is great for that.

I have the P3 installed on my Sport Trac next to the parking brake. I drilled holes into the metal behind the plastic. It is a nice location that does not get caught by my leg and you won't see any holes if you ever remove the controller.