Gen 2 Sub Woofer Issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Marcoux

Reaction score
I have an 08 STA, with the touch screen nav. Over the last year or so the sub woofer stops working intermittenly. It will sometimes work for a song or two then stop, and other times it wont work at all. The few people that I have mentioned it to suggested that it could be a short or broken wire between the amp and the head unit. I have take the sub right our of the box, made sure all the connections were solid at that end and put it all back together in the past. It worked for a bit then cut out again.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to diagnose the problem? It drives me crazy when the sub isnt kicking, as all the music sounds so hollow. Thanks for your help!

I have take the sub right our of the box, made sure all the connections were solid at that end and put it all back together in the past. It worked for a bit then cut out again.

You may need to use an ohm meter an run a continuity check on the wires. Could have a intermitent break somewhere. Also run an ohm check on the speaker itself, unpluged from the amp.

Run an input and output volt check on the amp while it cuts in and out. That will verify the amp, and input harness.

I did have the leak, got it repaired under warranty. And it leaks again. I did wonder if that caused the issue with the sub.

Eddie: How exactly do I do a continuity check? Also, could you walk me through how to to an ohm check on the speaker and amp? Thanks

Do you have a digital VOM?

Harbor Freight has a cheapy for a couple of $$. Some times I get them free with coupons with another purchase. I have a couple of extra, free new ones. You welcome to one. Not sure about cost of mailing one. They only weigh about 8oz.

If so I might be able to walk you thru the checks. Either by Email. Or I could have you call me, then talk you thru it.

If the water got onto the speaker. It might have goten to the coil, and is breaking down. Or corrosion on the voice coil wires is making it stick. The coil wires are very fine with very little clearance. Where it moves in and out of the magnet. Might still have corrrosion in the harness jack.

If the water got on the harness to the amp. Maybe corrosion in the harness jack. Might have actualy causeing an intermitent internal short. Just not enough to blow the fuse.

It could be as simple as one of the pins in the harnesses' has back up. Not making full contact. Playing a guessing game here. From wireing experiance as a retired instrument tech...LOL

Willing to help you. If you want to try.

One thing to consider if it is caused by water damage. If your leak was repaired under warranty. Ford might still be @ fault.

Latest posts