GEN 2 Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike burns 3

Reaction score
I have a Gen 1 that is getting tired

I have been looking at the Gen 2. There is lots I like about it but it looks to have lost some of the utility of Gen 1. Very few have the easy care leather like me Gen 1. Most have a light tan cloth that looks to be a PITA to keep clean. I live in the Northeast on a dirt road so the truck sees lots of MUD.

I may see if I can find a low mileage Gen 1 instead but I do like the suspension and engine improvements in the Gen 2.

Mike, I can't speak for a Gen 2 non-STA, but I like my leather seats in my '10 STA better than my '01 Gen 1 ST. And my leather is black.

Way better truck all around.

I agree, but. I shure like the size of my '04 gen1. In comparision.

The one thing that bothers me about the gen2, is. The independent rear suspension. I know it helped the ride. But it is more maintenance. In the long run.

Thanks ...

Has anyone put developed a comparison table between the 07 - 10 model years? I want the back window so that eliminates most 07s but not sure of the differences between the 08 - 10s.

What additional Maintenance would you see with the IRS? I had IRS in a Cobra and trac day'd it for most of its life - no issues at all - Rubber Floors and easy to maintain leather - no issues at 25,000 here

Just had my axles refurb'd because the outer CV boots were rotted and slinging grease at 60K miles. Shop wrote it up for diff seal replacement (which they did) and sent out the axles for rebuild. Took them the Ford TSB for "squeal" issue (hub seals need to be lubed) and they did that too. Whole ticket totaled to $700, but I'm happy with the repair. I've been pleased with the new Gen2 IRS, but now have an Adrenalin itch that I'm probably gonna have to scratch!

Latest posts