Gen 2 Oil Life Monitor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
It has been reported on the other Explorer board that once the oil life monitor gets to 10%, the engine power is cut by 25%. So if you thought your Gen 2 ran better after an oil change...it wasn't your imagination. :driving:

Interesting... I never really noticed before, but I rarely get on it too hard... Gas is cheap now @3.69 a gallon, but still not tempting enough for me to try out the theory. Is this just from the butt dyno, or the real thing?

???

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is true...

What year did they start this.

I drove my ex's '08 escape. Her oil life monitor was 10%. For 2 weeks before the oil change. I did the oil change for her. I hot-rod'ed it around the block. To warm the oil up. The 3.0L V6, was just as powerful as ever. Im sure of it, 'cause that V6 has always impressed me.

Is this just from the butt dyno, or the real thing?

Scott, do you have a way to research the truth.

It has been reported on the other Explorer board that once the oil life monitor gets to 10%, the engine power is cut by 25%.

Personally, I think this is bunk.

My wife's '08 Mariner's oil life monitor has run out (gonna change the oil this weekend), and there's no difference in power. Never noticed this happening in my '08 Mustang either.

Besides, if it were true, the easy solution would be to just reset the oil life monitor to 100%. Honestly, I think the only thing this feature does is track mileage between oil changes, with a pre-programmed interval of maybe 7500 miles. Or whatever the factory oil-change interval recommendation happens to be for a particular vehicle.

Actually it is true on Explorer Sport Tracs, I'm not sure on other Ford vehicles, maybe was some sort of test run on the ST and then decided later on other models to keep or toss. Yes, I am the OP of the post in the other forum, and yes its true, I even test it when I let the level go down and it'll do it.

When your OIL LIFE becomes less than 10%, it ALSO limits your POWER to about 75-80% and lowers your rev limiter to about 4500rpm!!! I know this because this had happened to me and as soon as I reset the OIL LIFE % it instantly got all the power back! From factory it does this so you don't run FULL power on dirty oil, so your engine can last longer! Just rememeber to reset it when you get you oil changed, since most places don't do that for you.

Also the factory setup limits your standing acceleration/takeoff, gives you only like 60-70% max throttle until you start to move and it'll gradually increase as you go, hence to make smoother take-offs and makes the drivetrain last longer. Thats why if you're moving and going about 15-20Kph and then floor it you'll notice a harder takeoff then standing still because you're moving and the system will then give you near full throttle, just limits you're takeoff from stop, and also softer shifting for smoother shifts. You can fix this with a Custom TUNE like SCT!

Thats why it feels unlike a V8 compared to normal vehicles at take-off because of this limiter!

All these nifty perks from Ford to make the engine and drivetrain last longer is cool, but most ppl don't know about this and are surprised when it seems not as powerful as they might think!

They should have had this mentioned in the manual! Alot of people do not know about this feature, smart on Ford, but for people who do not know, it kinda sucks when you need the power and aren't getting it and don't know why.

I found out by racing my buddy home sometimes after work for fun, always beating him big time! Until one day it didn't take off as hard, and the rpm was heavily limited too, and he kicked my butt big time... thought something was up. I knew the oil change reminder came up, but its not until the 10% point is when the power limiter kicks in. Confused I check everything on what was going wrong, then finally just out of curiousity I reseted the OIL LIFE and voila immediately got the power take off and higher rev limiter back. Then race my buddy the next day and whooped his ass as usual! LOL

If you don't believe me and you have a Gen2 ST, let your OIL monitor drop lower than 10%, you'll notice the lack of hard acceleration and the limited RPM at 4500rpm!!!

And then goto your OIL settings and reset, and it'll be back to normal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Eddie,

One on my Ford trainers has direct access to the engineers in Detroit and I have a call into him right now. He always gets back to me on things like this so I'll let you know but unfortunately I don't get documentation from them for the obvious reasons.

Does anyone know what the limited rpm is if you are in park and rev the engine up?

Ricco,

Reading your post above it sure sounds to me like what you are experiencing is the traction control kicking in when you are trying to take off.

I'm still skeptical about this.

For one thing, why would Ford incorporate this feature on only one vehicle line (Explorer/Sport Trac), and not accross the board on all Ford/Lincoln/Mercury models? Because like I stated above, I don't see any difference in power on either '08 Mariner or '08 Mustang when the oil life gets to 10% or less. So to not have this feature on every FLM vehicle doesn't seem very cost-effective to me.

And if it is true and simply resetting the oil life "meter" is the easy solution, then it's not really helping engine life at all.

Reading your post above it sure sounds to me like what you are experiencing is the traction control kicking in when you are trying to take off.

That makes more sense to me too.

And if it is true and simply resetting the oil life "meter" is the easy solution, then it's not really helping engine life at all.

Most people who are not smart enough to change the oil would not be smart enough to figure out the OLM either. .02.

Would you be able to manually change your oil life to 10% to test this? My '07 lets you change the percent yourself, but it doesn't seem to reset the OLM. The warning will still go off unless you go through the actual reset process. I don't care for the OLM myself. Whether it works like described or not, it is something I could easily do without. I would still choose OLM over TPMS any day of the week though.

Most people who are not smart enough to change the oil would not be smart enough to figure out the OLM either. .02.

I agree with Johnny. It doesnt' make sense to have that power reduction feature. Only about 30% of owners read the manual. Look at how many questions come up on this board. That are in the owners manual..LOL. My experiance is. Only older adult women Might refer to theirs. Before asking me a question.

Most oil change shops arent going to train. There employees about one specific car needs a reset. Too many new cars have a different procedure, for reset. They are about voulume. They dont take the time. Dealerships, probably will.

As my freinds and family know. They have to reset it themselves. I was with my B-inlaw once. When he checked out. The clerk reminded him to reset his.

I like your thinking, Lee!

Speaking of TPMS, couldn't you put all four sensors inside the spare?

I wondered why somebody would set their oil life to anything less than 100%. What is the point of changing the age? Do I really know that the oil life is 80% versus 75%? Whose spec is it based on? Hopefully it was an American engineer that got paid for that useless feature. But, maybe it will lead to something good down the road....

I tried more than once. Using the manual. To set my ex's escape lower than 100%. Wanted to do 5K oil chnges. The darn monitor kept going back to 100%. It works from 100% down.

So she does the 7500 oil changes. With syn-blend it should ok anyway. She doesnt dog it.

Latest posts