Gen 2 Jack

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P M

Reaction score
I cut a tire this morning and had to use the supplied jack and lug wrench to change the tire. No big deal. However, when jacking it up, the the part of the wrench that slips over the rod to turn the screw on the jack stripped. It is VERY soft metal. So, had to borrow some vice grips to turn the jack and get it up another couple inches to replace the tire. Recommend you consider alternatives to the lug wrench to turn the screw on the jack, or simply a different jack/lug wrench combo. Vice grips or channel locks would work fine. I was fortunate to be where I could borrow something to make it work. Would not have worked out had I been on the side of the highway or somewhere remote.

I bought a 4 ton hydralic bottle jack. For the front place it under the lower control arm. Not on the jack point. for the rear place it under the spring mounting perch. It will store under the seat.

I have been thinking about getting a small frame floor jack, to store in the bed. That is what I carried in my van.

Either one is safer than the factory jack, for on the road.

E is right on, the OEM jacks are crap, I have a two ton alum. raceing jack I keep in the trac.

3 pumps and your in the air enough to remove a tire safely.

I bought a small bottle jack from Wallmart for cheep and it fits in the compartment behind the rear seats. Now I need to get something to lower the spare tire.

Ed

Ed, you should be able to make a spare tire crank. Not sure if it is 5/16 or 3/8 round bar.Heat and flaten one end to fit the pully system. Bend the other end in the shape of a crank handle. Lowes, Home Depot or a hardware store, will have it.Usually 10 foot sticks. Cut what you need.

Tks Fast Eddie, I will look into that.

God bless Ed