Gen 2 dash lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you replace the lights, I highly suggest that you replace them all at once so you do not have to take apart the dash again soon. Also, when replacing the bulbs be sure to wear gloves as not to lessen the life soan of the bulb.

YouTube video on how to remove the instrument cluster:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a problem :) And that it is. I have made a part number list for the bulbs on my 07 as the reference books have listed some of mine incorrectly such as my tail lights and reverse lights.

No need for gloves if replacing with LED lights which are brighter and make the dash much better looking. I got tired of the stupid OEM bulbs burning out one at a time. Terrible design. I went LED and not a one has burned out since. Amazon has them.I don't have the size with me now but I can look it up later.

Yeah that'd be great!!! I was thinking about doing the LEDs! So if you could get the part number they'd be awesome. I saw some from superbright LEDs that are direct replacement. But my question is do I go with the white LEDs? Or green LEDs as that's the filter color?

There was a story a couple of months ago about someone changed over to led and I think they were getting a lock of light flicker from the bulbs and dimmer wasnt working right. Always good to know someone who has done it with no problems. :driving: Gloves arent required unless you are changing halogen headlights or foglights.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't seem to find much on the search. I may or may not go LED. Still haven't really decided. I am mostly not sure what to do about color. Whether get a green led or white led.

I was the one with the earlier post. I'm a Gen 1 and I don't know if what I say below applies to a Gen 2.

I would put LED dash lights in if your going to the trouble to do this job. That way you won't ever have to do this job again.

Tricky part is getting the polarity correct. You have to replace the bulbs with the dash hot and in some amount of darkness to make sure each LED is correct polarity.

Just make sure you get the LED dash lights that are made up of 10 separate LEDs.

The Gen 1 dash needs to see a minimal current draw from the LEDs. The 5 led lamps will not cut it.

This one bad...

http://www.dx.com/p/t10-1-2w-6500k-70-lumen-5-smd-led-car-white-light-bulbs-pair-dc-12v-51356#.VQeH1I7F9UA

This one good..

http://www.dx.com/p/t10-5w-400lm-10-x-smd-7020-led-white-light-car-steering-signal-corner-lamp-dc-12v-2-pcs-252097#.VQeH5o7F9UA

Above being said, I must say that I really like my LED dash lights. So much so that i am going to replace the lights in the center dash cluster next.

Interested in this, I just changed my bulbs on hvac panel, and while it's bright, I may as well order some leds to replace them one last time. But I am also interested in changing brake lights and reverse lights to LED, anyone know if there is a how-to in the projects on this, or is it the same as regular light bulb swap?

Also, is there an easy way to make sure the polarity is correct without the dash being hot, or changing them anywhere else?

Many places do sell replacement bulbs for the tail an reverse lamps.

The place I mentioned earlier has them (www.dx.com) They also have a US warehouse (www.dxsoul.com)

I just haven't moved to the tail and reverse lamps yet. I worry that I might buy something only to find out later it is not bright enough. Need to do some more research.

Polarity on the dash lights is trial and error. No other way that I know of.

I must emphasize that it is not easy doing this job. The cluster only comes out so far and you have to hand feel and be quite dexterous in replacing each bulb twist socket. If the bulbs are wrong polarity they just don't light up. They won't burn up or anything (at least mine didn't).

Dean, thanks for the reply. I've had my dash out 4 or 5 times, tinkering with the different lights, so popping it out on a day off is not an issue, I got my patience from my mom! Just a matter of having the weather be warm enough so I can leave the door open and not be crammed in the driver's seat trying to do it all. I checked out Mark K's post and ordered my led bulbs for twilight from there, but for dash, I'll do some research.

I will post my LED part numbers if I can find them in my Amazon history. I am on business travel the next 3 weeks so I do not have my car with me to pull the receipts. Stay tuned.

I had no issue with working on the panel. It pulls out a bit but you need to fit fingers in small places handling these tiny bulbs. It's more cumbersome but once you do the first one it makes sense. I had zero polarity issues, no flicker problems, and none have burned out in 2 years. It looks a whole lot better than those OEM bulbs. So, highly recommend this one. I got tired of having to handle burned out bulbs.

While you are in there, you now can disable that annoying speaker that wants to chime EVERY time you start up.

Disabled mine half hour after I got it home.

Yes, the LED's dim just like the OEM bulbs. No issue whatsoever. Very happy with the brightness increase and not having to replace them one at a time.