GEN 1 VS 2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike burns 3

Reaction score
I need to replace my 2001 and I'm looking at both Gen 1 vs 2. I have had excellent results with my Gen 1 (except for ball joints) but it could handle better. Is there a big difference between the two? Most of the reviews are kinda so so. I dont off-road but do use 4X4 in the winter and for a camping trip every so often.

Gen 2 handling is a million times better. Owned a 2002 and now a 2010. They fixed everything I did not like in my old truck with the new one. V8, 6sp, auto, ind. rear end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never owned a Gen 1, only my '07 that I bought new and I love it when it snows. The more the better. Did I mention I love to drive in the snow. Get a Gen 2 if you not into off road bigtime...IMO!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had both. Ride and handling of a Gen 2 is so much better it isn't funny. If you don't off-road then a Gen 2 is the way to go. Downsides, the bed is slipperier and marks up easier (I got a bed mat), upholstery seems to wear quickly, and there are similar front wheel bearing issues. Had one replaced last year and now the other is making noise @ 56k miles. DEEP snow is kinda iffy because the traction control will kick in and kill the motor. Turn it off and now you've got two open axles, not as good as a limited-slip rear with no traction control. Upsides, rear diff cover has a drain plug so you can easily change it yourself, a trailer hitch is included. Lots of cupholders and lighter plugs inside, rear heat and A/C vents, hardwired input plug for iPods, XM, or whatever.

On balance the pros far outweigh the cons.

Not to dis on the GEN 1 owners but the GEN 2 whether it be a v6 or v8 is about 10,000% better all the way around than the GEN 1

My Gen 1 has rear heat & A/C vents??

Ya'll keep telling me that the Gen 2 rides much better than the Gen 1, and in some cases that its stock handling is better than my Gen 1 with its upgraded shocks & swaybars. Someday I'll have to drive a Gen 2 to test that claim out.

Gen 2 with traction control is probably easier to drive in the rain/light snow than my 2002 Gen 1 2wd with limited slip. As I remembered today, the hard way, just tapping the brake or improperly pulling off of the brake when you accelerate the ST from a stop into a tight/uphill turn causes traction loss, and instead of 100% of the power going to the road, you get about 30% and a mini-burnout. Sucks when that happens and there's traffic coming up fast behind you, but I still wouldn't trade my RWD ST for a FWD ridgeline.

Unlike the American Top Gear, I don't believe that one of the basic tenets of a truck is the ability to easily break rear traction (History ran a marathon of it last weekend) :bwahaha:

I am going to test drive a Gen2 tomorrow. I like the look of the Gen1 more and the price is better but if the Gen2 is that much better I can pay more.

had 2 gen 1's and one gen 2.

it is comparing apples and oranges in my opinion.

my 07 V8 limited was nice (minus tranny bump) and is built for more comfort and a smoother ride.

Not to dis on the GEN 1 owners but the GEN 2 whether it be a v6 or v8 is about 10,000% better all the way around than the GEN 1

Except for providing an heir.

Drive a Gen2 today. Better ride and more refined. Almost to much. Most of the "utility" are lost. The simple layout of Gen1 is better, or at least I like it more. Whats the deal with all the fake chrome? Grill, dash, etc ....

Not sure what I'm going to do. I can get a Gen 1 with less than 30K on it for less than $15K. A 2008 (like the powered back window and fog lights) with around 50K on it will be in the low $20s (4X4 with V6).

I think $15k for a GEN I (2005) is too much and so is low $20's for a 2008 unless both of the vehicels are in absolutely mint condition and have documented service records.

Considering members here have bought gen2 STAs with higher mileage for 27 grand....I think that is just about on point....

They are not making anymore of these!

Obviously an STA would bring more money but were not talking about an STA here and while they may not be making ST's anymore it does nothing for the price, it's not like the ST was ever very popular...that's whay they ain't making them anymore.

I wonder if you could bolt one in from a Gen 2? Probably would need some modification...

I plan on keeping my Trac for the foreseeable future. The older it gets the more things on it for me to tinker with!

Gary said:
Are there suspension upgrades that can make a Gen 1 comparable?

Addco front swaybar, Zabteck/EE rear bar, and Sensa Tracs or Reflexes are about as good as it will get.

There is a long sweeping ramp I hit on the PA Turnpike between my offices. In my Gen 1 (with Sensa Tracs and a TT/shackle lift) I'd be scared to death to hit it at any more than 60 mph. In my Gen 2 (bone stock) I never turn the cruise down from 75 mph unless there is traffic.

Latest posts