Gen 1 Steering Wheel

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Bosin

Reaction score
I remember reading on this forum about the steering wheel on Gen 1's but mine has been just fine until a few months ago. Now it is noticeably deformed under the stock cover. Is the steering wheel going to fall apart? Outside of a slip over cover making the wheel fatter what can I do? I was thinking that I could remove the factory cover and use some kind of filler or epoxy but then I need to get the wheel recovered.

If it is not going to fall apart but I could just live with it but it looks silly. :cry:

One thing that may start happening is the double sided tape that Ford used to keep the cover in place will start to liquify and ooze out as a black tarry substance between the laces of the cover. Getting black tarry crap on my wife's hands while she was wearing a white dress kept her out of my Trac for years! I had to remove the cover, clean all the adhesive off, and recover the steering wheel with a new cover. I tried to use the old cover, but the sticky gunk was just too hard to get off of it.

I think your choice is to replace it or cover it.

I replaced mine when it got lumpy. With the new steering wheel, I was much happier!

Latest posts