Gen 1 4WD vs. 2WD

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia Snyder

Reaction score
Hey guys. My granddad is looking at a 2001 v6 4WD trac and a 2004 v6 2WD. Both vehicles are wrecked (the 01 only has 50,000miles or so) but he has been rebuilding vehicles for years and is going to repair one for his main vehicle. He is also looking at a canyon and another mid size truck, but I am doing my best to sway him to the good side. :supercool: (I told him not to get me started on the end of the era. haha.) He just sold his 2005 Dodge that got 11mpg and is looking for something with decent gas mileage with the benefit of the truck bed and general towing ability and of course to fit the family in (he and his wife adopted 2 kids about 6 years ago and they are now teenagers).

What we are wondering is if there is a huge difference between the v6 2WD and 4WD. I told him I would get on here and ask around. If you all could put what you are experiencing and which one you have, I would appreciate the help! Any dislikes of overall vehicle?

Last edited by a moderator:
There were many changes made in 2003. In your case, you may have a Job 1 Trac as compared to a Job 2, (both were available in 2001).

If it is a job 1, it is the earliest Trac there was and it came with some bugs. This is why there is a Job 2 as well as both body and engine changes that were made for the 2003 version.

Post the MFG date that is on the door or let us know what side of the engine the oil dip stick tube is on and we will help you better.

When you say it is on the "left" side, keep in mind we don;t know if you mean your left or the engines. So please tell us on Drivers (left) or Passengers (right) side of the vehicle...

My dip stick is on the driver side... can't remember the exact manufacturing date off hand though... when were the changes in "03"? Mine is a "03" and was built in early "03" if I remember correctly.

He is actually bidding on some site for it (not sure what site or anything) so Im not sure that much detailed info is available. He does this often. He will buy a vehicle that is wrecked (nothing absolutely major) for cheap and fix it and drive it. So, I'm really just looking more for general information to help him decide which year he wants. I have a 2007 and tried to get him to go gen 2 but he said they didn't have any. (Maybe if im lucky he can find me a 2010 in a few years! or even better...an adrenalin :) )

I don't think I've had but 1 vehicle in my 40+ years of wrenching that wasn't a salvage vehicle. That's the way to go IMO, if you can do the work yourself and be assured of the quality of the repair. The auction site should have the VIN listed with the vehicle so get it and look it up at the link below. My personal preference is 4x4 anytime even though I use it seldom.......but it's there if I need it. I'd like to see what he's bidding on. I have a lot of spare parts for the 01-05 model. He may already know but doors and cab panels aren't cheap, even used ones. He's not going to get a big gain in MPG either way he goes,4x2/4x4. I wouldn't suggest him doing much car trailer pulling with a Trac either.

I have an '02 2WD, and I get 15 mpg in the winter, 18 mpg in the summer, and 10 mpg towing a 27' rv, and I have gotten 23.5 mpg on a long trip @68 mph... This is with 10% ethanol gas, too.... Driving is 30/70 city/highway use.. HTH

He's pretty much the same way, Steve. I don't know how many times he has done this. I think he is just looking at gas mileage since he doesn't really do anything (right now) where he needs the 4x4, but was looking into it so he would have it if he needed it. We live a ways from town so anywhere he needs to go costs an arm and a leg right now. lol. And I'll definately let him know about this site if he goes one, and ill send him to you if he needs any parts. He has been known to wake up one morning and decide to drive to CT to get a roll bar for a '68 Shelby he was restoring. What kind of mileage do your ST get?

your mileage seems to be pretty close to mine. I wasn't sure if there was a big diff. between gen 1 and gen 2. Of course, I have learned it all depends on how you drive it...BIG difference. :driving:

Latest posts