GEM replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Smith 2

Reaction score
I am having some power window, lock and mirror issues in my 03 ST. None will work and I've been search and some sites recommend the "GEM" Generic Electronic Module replacement. The problem just started yesterday and I notice when turning the ignition key I hear a sound coming from behind the dash that I've never noticed before. Anyone had this problem? Can I just purchase a "GEM" and replace or does it control more stuff and will need to be programed. Any help is always appreciated.

how old is your battery? when stuff starts going snakey in the ST, it is the first thing I would check.

I dont think that the windows would be controlled by the gem, but I could be wrong. Sound behind the dash sounds like it may be a relay....

Unfortunately the windows are run through the GEM. What kind of sound is coming from behind your dash? Which side is it coming from? Is the hvac sysstem working properly?

HVAC is working, cruise control is working. Without removing the dash I would guess the sound is coming fom between the steering wheel and the radio. I checked the GEM fuses at lunch and they are fine. The sound is like an electrical switch with a couple of clicks. One thing I did notice at lunch is I turn the ignition and it makes this sound. I slam the door shut pretty hard and it makes it again. That makes me wonder if it's not a loose wire somewhere? Anymore thoughts? Thanks for the input.

I would first check the wiring that goes from the door to the dash area. When I sold my 03 the power mirrors did not work, so I put in a new switch to no avail. The guy I sold it to then started having problems with the lock on the driver door. He took it to the dealer and they found the problem of a borken wire. Do a search about this and you should find lots of info. Good luck.

Rod

Latest posts