Gear shift stuck in park

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Spann

Reaction score
Guys,

(2001 Job 1 Trac)

I have read some previous posts about this problem but I want to bounce this off you again to see if there is anything different about my situation. My gear shift lever will not come out of park when my key in in run. It will move if the key is at the detent just before run. Also, my key in ignition bell will sound when my door is open and key is out of the ignition. Moving the tilt steering will temp fix this. The #9 fuse to the brake pedal position switch keeps blowing. When I turn on cruise control, tapping the brake will not turn it off. I have to press down proetty good to make it kick off and I feel it in my pedal. I have removed the shroud around my steering wheel and the multifunction switch connector on top left of the column is loose and the clips are broken.

Probably a short in a wire? Could the brake pedal switch also be bad? This just happened last night when I was leaving my son's cub scout meeting so I had driven it an hour before. Thanks guys. Also, leads on part numbers and where I can buy them would be appreciated. I found the brake switch at Rock Auto.

If it is the connector do I just pull the wires out of the old one and replace or cut and solder?

Thanks dudes!

Very important although not sure if the C/C brake sensor is related to your issue. GL

Last edited by a moderator:
There is also a issue with the main support bolts loosing also falling out . Onthe botom of the steerring cloumn.

Check those...........

I haven't noticed any lights being out though. My wife checked them last night and they worked fine. Maybe they are intermittent. I am more concerned about the fuse continuously blowing which (to me) indicates a shorted wire. I don't like to chase sparks but I guess I have to for this one. Now to figure out how to use a multimeter...

Hey guys, FYI, I shot all the wires in the main connecter going to the multi-function switch and I found no shorts. I found a BPP switch at Autozone that I will pick up tomorrow morning so I will see if it is the switch. Also, I found the chime that I was getting even with the key out was a tiny switch that connects to the cylinder well for the ignition lock. The clip had broken off and it was shorting out on the metal outer wall of the cylinder well. I fixed it with some electrical tape. Now I am really wishing that I had taken some pictures. Hopefully I can get back to normal with my Trac tomorrow!

Latest posts