Gear Shift Indicator Disconnected/Broken

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookie

Reaction score
My gear shift indicator is all the way to the right side and not connected to the shift lever (does not move).

Is something broken or just disconnected? Is this a simple fix?

Thanks.

It's a little wire that could have broken. I think cayman repaired his, hopefully he'll chime in for you. More than likely isn't a big deal though.

I had mine stretch and then break on me. It is an easy fix. I found that the wire inside an old telephone cord is the same diameter as the wire they use. Take the bottom of the dash off and you will see a little metal hook on the bottom or the Gearshift. The wire connects to the hook (it has a little loop in the wire) and then runs into the instrument panel. To fix it, you will have to take the Instrymant Panel out and take the Gear indicator area off.(couple of screws) The wire has a loop on both ends. I made the new piece of wire the same length and put everything back together.

Now the reason I did this is because every place you look, will only sell the whole unit. Instrument cluster and all. When they should just sell the Gear Notifier. :wacko:

Latest posts