Gavin..tell us about how your son did??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsha Walker

Reaction score
Gavin, How did your step son do in the Special Olympics? I assume you are home now?? What was you impression of the event? Of Iowa? I thought I would let you know that our public television station just started running a special on the whole thing. Check your local listings or I could tape it and send it if you are interested. Marsha

His team placed 4th in their bracket (out of 4). However, they had a great time and they really improved their playing during the 6-7 games they played last week. (His team was made up of players from two Missouri city teams who has only practiced four times together before going to Ames.) They had a blast.

Overall, the first ever National US Special Olympics was well-run. The IA State Univ facilities were very nice. Folks in Iowa were very friendly, and I wouldn't mind living there. I was quite impressed with everything I saw (except your highways are crappy!). The Ames fireworks/concerts/pasta dinner were great! The Reiman Gardens were really nice! The Hickory Park BBQ ribs were excellent!

We visited Amana colonies (somewhat disappointed), drove by the Capitol, drove around Drake University campus in Des Moines, and spent a few hours on the way home in Pella, where they had a really huge and kick-ass old car/hot-rod show. (ate some dutch letters and got some more yummy treats at the meat market next door.)

It would have been nice to see more and travel more, but we had more activities and stuff in Ames than we thought we would have.

It was a nice week and a nice trip. I am glad to be home (except to go back to work today). The Trac ran great and quiet and smooth with the new set of BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/As I had installed last week.

Pics and more information of the event:

Hey Gavin,

Not trying to start a border war, but the last time I drove I70 from KC to St Louis, it was the bumpiest ride ever. When I lived in KC 2 yrs ago, missouri had the 2nd worst condition bridges in the country. It is good that they are earmarking money for roads, but it will be years before we see the effects.

Later,

Hawk

Just last night while waiting for my daughters game to start I watched a team with nothing but disabled kids play a team of non disabled boys. The boys were not allowed to run at any point.

Man, all I can say is it was FANTASTIC. Those kids had a ball and it was a blast to watch. The boys played all the normal position and the pitcher did soft under hand toss to the batters. When the disabled team took the field EVERY player went out. There waS like twsenty of them. They just spread out all over... LOL.

I must say I really enjoyed it. Probably more than they did.

They won by the way. Not being able to run to a base or the ball made it very fair over all.....

Yeah, I-70 used to be horrible. I thought I would have to put 'er in 4WD at times just to get across some of the pot holes and bad pavement! :eek:

However, the entire state of Missouri is under construction this past year. They have been diamond-grinding the cement highways (that weren't too bad) to smooth them out. Nearly all the blacktop highways of any size have been repaved. I've never seen so much progress by something government-related so quickly! The have been repaving and redoing roads all around the state like crazy! Everything is getting nice white stripes and painted.

There isn't much new construction going on (I-70 is still majorlly-congested), but at least the roads that we have are being repaved and are quite smooth and nice-looking.

Iowa's roads that I drove on were structually OK (no potholes--just horrible expansion joints), and the shoulders were very nice graded (but gravel). The difference in smoothness was very noticable.

No offense taken about the border war. Missouri is ranked 48th and 49th on most lists, and most Missourians are proud to be ranked next to Alabama and Missisippi. (sorry Alabama and Mississippi.)

I wouldn't believe it myself unless I had seen it myself, but the work is truly amazing.

Latest posts