Gauge Lighting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Brewer

Reaction score
How easy is it to replace lights on the speedo/tach gauge unit? Mine appears to be not as bright as in the past. Are there numerous bulbs?

I haven't taken my dash apart - yet- so I can't say whether it's a difficult job. I believe there are several small bulbs attached to a printed circuit board behind the dash. I've got a burned-out bulb behind the speedo, so I'll be performing this repair soon myself.

search the projects section. I think there is a write-up in there that will give you a good idea as to how difficult (or not difficult) that job will be.

I have to do this soon too, as one of my bulbs has burnt out.

On dark nights I have to use the interior light to check my gas gauge (which really isn't accurate enough imo) and if not for my ScanGauge II, I couldn't check my speed for anything under 40 mph, so I'll be joining ya'll in the bulb replacement.

ITS A PITA! I did it, twice. Found out the first time that you don't have to take it all apart, just enough to get the cluster out. Once the cluster is out, you can access the bulbs from the rear. There are several screws below the steering column and in the 'well' of the cluster. There are then more screws and clips that remove the cluster in one piece. Put the parking brake on, drop the gear into 1st, and lower your steering wheel.

My lights suck, can barely see anything other than the speedo. I don't plan on doing it a third time.

Time consuming, but not too difficult. Apparently several members have noted that there are some differences from what I wrote in the project from my 02 ST to theirs, so think of this project as more a helpful tool than a step by step guide just in case you have something different than mine.