Gas station pump shutting off prematurly

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Wright

Reaction score
All right. So for the past 3 months I've been getting only 10-20 $ of gas (not a full tank or topping off) Never had a problem till the other day. I went to get gas and the pump shut off after about 1 gallon. I can hear gas comming up the filler neck so I'm assuming there is a problem with the EVAP system. I tried it at another station and same problem.

Q. When you take off your gas cap, is there a little silver door inside or is it open? I seem to remember there being a silver door there but there isn't. My moms Escape doesn't have a silver door. Maybe I'm going crazy.

So I'm wondering if something got knocked loose or something after I was rammed a while back. It was on the right side (where the gas hole is).

Q2. How hard is it to clear out the tubes for the system?

Anyway, Ideas? thanks.

Q1: filler neck is open.

Q2: never had to do it.

Before this issue appeared did you ever "squeeze" more gas into tank when filling up?

There are several YouTube videos to show how to clear a blocked EVAP line. See link below or search YT for "gas tank will not fill."

Sometimes some pumps shut off prematurely when the flow rate is faster than the tank can purge out the air?? This is a common problem in states that require an EVAP collar on the filler nozzle to preven gas tank fumes from escaping into the atmosphere. I have found that trying a different pump at the same gas station often eliminates these hard to fill problems.

As previously stated, it may indicate that you have a defective EVAP purge component or EVAP canister. All modern EVAP systems have a liquid/vapor separator that allows any liquid fuel to drain back to the fuel tank and fuel vapors to go to the canister to be burned in the engine on the next purge cycle.

...Rich

This happened on my 2003 Gen 1. A bug had spun a cocoon in the gas vent hose that comes off of the filler neck under the rear fender. 5 minute fix. Not sure about the gen 2 though.

Latest posts