Gas spill when filling

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd LaPlante

Reaction score
For about the last year now I've had a problem with gas pumps not shutting off in time and gas spilling. It happens at different stations and happens almost every time. I now try to listen for the gas coming up the filler neck and sometimes I left off in time to avoid a spill. Any ideas what could be wrong with the gas filler on my Trac?

Do you top off your tank when filling? If so you may have clogged up the vapor recovery plumbing in your Trac. Search "gas tank overflows when filling" and you'll see it's a common problem across many makes. Be careful if you have to do a tank drop to fix it.

I never top off the tank. I always stop the first time the pump stops it self. I could have used a pump that did not work properly and unintentionally overfilled it, so this could still be a possibility. Thanks, I will check it out.

I did a little research and could not find anything specific to the Trac. People with different vehicles with the same symptoms have had problems with a valve or ball check sticking in the vapor recovery line. Where would this be on the Trac? When I get a chance I am going to start tracing the lines and see if I can figure it out.

I have a 2001 Ranger and have the same problem. I did some research and found that the filler tube is the issue. I may have posted on this forum about it. I believe the tube has to be replaced. I didn't as it only happens when filling and it isn't enough to concern me.

Latest posts