Gas odor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norm Reeves

Reaction score
I have a strong gas odor drivers side outside rear. No leak found and no codes shown or stored. No smell if trac sits a while (overnite)...only when driven. 2003 has 130K, bought it used, so don't have any maint history. Any ideas?

Leaks under high pressure pumps cannot be seen or found. The fuel evaps imediatly. Shops use a special sniffer to find them.

Been chasing the smell in mine for a couple of months now!:banghead:

Found a hose on the evap missing and have replaced: gas cap, evap, and the solenoid...No Joy...less but not gone...

Went to a couple of Ranger Boards and read about tiny pin-holes in the filler neck...I've got one on order...

Scout......found my leak. It's coming from the top of the gas tank. Runs down the

tank (rear drivers side) and evaps before it drips on the driveway. Checked it just as soon as I shut it down.....otherwise dries up. Trying to run the tank down this weekend (going to NC) and take it in monday.

Nice, I look forward to hearing what they find.

Went to replace the filler neck this weekend on mine, but I ordered one for a Sport and not a Trac! Stealer wanted $250 for a new one...

Yep....the leak was on top of the gas tank.....looked like a hose leak, but further

checking showed that there was a tiny crack in the output plastic fitting of the fuel pump.

So, had to have new pump. With the pump and new filter the bottom line was

$697....plus 20$ tip to the mech. New pump....no smell...I'm happy!:haveabeer: