GARAGE DOOR ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim parnell

Reaction score
For the guys with some building/carpentry experience. Have a 16' wide OH door on my detached garage/shed. The header has gotten water damage as there was not a drip guard installed behind the vinyl siding when built by the contractor. The header consists of two 2x8's nailed together and laying flat (not standing on edge) across the top of the garage door opening. There is a 2x4 nailed to the backed side (visible from the inside of the garage) for support/strengthening of the 2x8's since they span 16'. The OH door is on a NON-LOAD bearing wall (roof trusses run paralell) with the wall the OH door is installed in.

My main question is: can the double 2x8 header boards (will use PT lumber this time) be shorter than the 16' span to make it a bit easier on installing the new lumber WITHOUT weakening the header. I would like to use a 12' and 4' section for each layer but have the 4' sections at OPPOSITE ends/sides of the door opening. Would install the 2x4 bracing in a similar manner as well.

I've done and seen the same done for long header boards. You shouldn't have any problems. This is a common technique used to cut down on cost, and for the mere fact that it's next to impossible to find a couple of two-bys (2x) of any considerable length that are straight.

Just make sure you use LOTS of nails when you join the boards, especially in that 8' section in the middle. That's where much of your stress, what there is of it, will be.

TJR

I would say use at least a few bolts with large washers. I wouldn't trust just nails for the center or support at the ends of the 8 and 4 foot pieces.

You will not have any issues.

As the others mentioned above, and as you have mentioned, use very different lengths to get the seems at least 4 foot from each other. If you REALLY want to make it strong, put wood glue between the boards, it will make a substantial difference and glue is super cheap for what you get out of it.

It sounds like it would work OK. Be sure to get that leak sealed since pressure treated lumber will eventually rot as well, it just takes a little longer than untreated lumber.

As Mike Homes always says: "Do it right the first time" because it's always more expensive

to do it twice !

A simiilar version we used in the military was: "There is never enough time to do the job right the first time, but there is always time to do the job over again."

...Rich

Call the county building inspector's office. They'll tell you if that change is up to code. If it's not, you'll have to fix it before you can ever sell the house.

Use plywood, glue and nails. Run you a string from one side to the other and jack up the middle in a couple of spots till you are above the line (1/8"). put 8' in the middle and 4' on the other sides. Stagger the joints with muli layers.

Latest posts