Gangster Lean

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed C

Reaction score
I looked at my Trac today and it was noticeably leaning to the Driver's side. I've gained some weight but not that much...:smack:

Anyways, after a visual inspection of the front suspension, and moving and bouncing the truck, I couldn't see anything obviously wrong. I started adjusting the torsion twist and it seems like both sides react to adjustments on one side. If I lifted one of them the other side went up with it. After a lot of adjusting and driving around the block I got then within 1/2 of an inch from each other. Still lower on the driver's side but it's not noticeable.

I blame the rotting body mounts. I measured the distance from the body to the mount support on both sides and they are off by about 1/4 of an inch. Everything else looks good and the shocks are new. Suggestions welcomed...

It's most likely the leaf springs. Swap the sides is the cheapest/easiest fix. Add-a-leaf is another but will give you lift. New springs is another possibility.

You probably need an alignment now after messing with the torsion adjusting bolts.

Hugh's leaf spring swap is probably your best and cheapest option.

The Ranger lean usually appears more exaggerated when viewed from the rear.

Normally when adjusting the torsion bolts, it will affect the opposite rear corner.

(Right Front Down = Left Rear Up)

Hugh, you are ST of the MONTH!!! Nice job, congrats man! :haveabeer:

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly weak torsion bars? BTW, 1/2" variance is common. I've heard as much as 1 1/2".

Last edited by a moderator:
The pads can wear out as well as the torsion bars. That would be more unfortunate.

I measured all around before and after, the back is solid. The front is acceptable now but this morning it was leaning bad. Even my wife noticed. I checked the tires for abnormal wear and they looked ok too. Both body mounts by the front doors look bad but the one by the drive's side is worse.

I never really thought about the body mounts causing that but it makes sense. I have to replace mine and will probably get to it next month. Not excited.:banghead:

I raised my right torsion to match with full gas. It been close ever sense.

The front cab mount and fender mount is harder rubber on my '04

You mean lowered the right Eddie. :grin:

For all of you people adjusting your torsions remember to get your front end aligned after doing so because it throws off the alignment.

Front end was sagging so I checked the torsions bars and found the drivers side nearly all the way in and the passenger sided only about 1/4 way in I adjusted both in and raised the front about 1.5" but the passenger side was about 3/8" higher so I had to adjust it down and I am still about 1/4" higher passenger side but it will do. Looks like the driver side torsion bar is weak.

I havent alighned my trac since I bought it. Second set of tires wear good, 3rd if youcount the oem I took off at 3k.

I also tweaked my tie rods 1/4 turn inward on each side. Tracks and wears good.

After driving to and from work it still within 1/2 inch in the front. The back is even. I see it but most people probably don't.

l1tech, thanks for the advice, any insight into what would cause that problem all of the sudden?

I have a 7 pack leaf spring on my front drivers side and a 5 pack on the passenger side. Gas tank makes it lean to one side really bad. And now I new leafs for the rear end, they are super weak now, and squeking as hell.

Latest posts