Gage close to H issue and air conditioning too - possible fan clutch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE442

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Some where way to close to the effen city
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I was drivingh back from taking my son to the airport the other day and I had the air conditioning on Max Cool setting and the air conditioning went warm. I looked at the temp gauge and the the temp gauge went pretty close to "H" ( a bit down from the red) so I immediately did an evasive move and stopped on the side of the road and turned the engine off. Sat there for a minute and decided I was too close to I-75 so I started it up to move it up to a wider pad of concrete for safety. The idiot light never came on and the temp gauge read normal (center of the gauge). I then checked and the serpentine belt had not broken, the over flow tank had almost the same level as when i checked it and everything else looked OK. I started it up and cautiously went on my merry way on the way. Also, the fan did work off and on. The air conditioning worked off and on as well all the way and the temp stayed in the middle of the gauge off & on.(slightly below the halfway mark to the cool side). I had to stop maybe 8 times on the way home(maybe 10 miles) but the last 3-4 miles there were no issues. This is the same problem that I had one time on my Florida trip at the end of March with no issues up till now.

OK...I'm going to take it into FORD under my extended warranty but watch them not be able to get it to do it. Is there a connection for the fan clutch....I thought someone said it was electric? Any way to just put a non electric fan on if this becomes an issue??

Since I'm taking it in for warranty, how do you check the manifold bolts for cracking and where does the radiator tend to crack. I figure while it's in I should have the problem issues checked if they show signs. Are there any others...I have had the tranny bump issue updated a long time ago.

Thanks ,

07 ST

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were moving when the overheating occured then the fan has little to do with it as once you hit about 15 mph the air being forced through the radiator is greater than the fan can pull. Normally when a overheat situation occurs the ac will be disabled so that is normal but what doesn't make sense is that the ac continued to have issues after the overheating condition subsided.

There is a reflash for the pcm that deals with the ac shutting off that may be the cause of the ac issues when not overheating.

The last time the vehicle acted up was anything done to it? At the very least if no other issues could be found I would have put a thermostat in it.

I agree that the thermostat should probably be replaced. It might be starting to stick and/or not opening to the full open position which would restrict water flow through the motor and causing it to run warmer than it normally does.

I recently changed the t-stat in my '04

I hung it in a pot of boiling water. It only opened 1/4" @ 212 degrees.

My scangauge was showing 217 degrees @ 70mph.

My bad...I actually think I turned the air off this time. I left it on during the incidence on the way back from Florida and had no ther issues. So, should I change thge thermostat. OEM FORD or aftermarkey...what is the best brand.?

Where to look for the radiator leaks....both sides from underneath?? Do I have to go with FORD plastic? Is so, are the new ones any better? If not, is there an aluminum replacement?

The clutch fan...is there anyway to check it out on the ST? If so, how?? Is there an electrical connection to it. This new stuff just baffles me. Things were alot easier in the 60's & 70's ...LOL

Thanks for the help, info and opinions,

'07 ST

Id say if it were the radiator, you probably wouldn't have the same amount of antifreeze in your reservoir as you did after the trip. But check underneath your vehicle for leakage of antifreeze. That might help it narrow it down whether it's the radiator or not.

Electric Fran or fan clutch, well your fan seems to be coming on and off during slow speeds or idling. That's a sign it that the fan works. It does shut off after 25mph or so. Normally if the fan clutch is bad, during take off you will hear a loud jet like wind sound coming from your engine or so I've been told. But pay close attention next time.

Thermostats, well those can turn out bad even brand new, some people like to test them to assure it's not a defective one before installing. I'd go with Ford brand, that's just me, typically they run about the same price as any other auto parts store.

But I'd start out cheap and just work on up, so replacing the thermostats first would be a good idea! Did you ever take it to the shop? Did they tell you anything?

I have a FORD extended warranty until November. I haven't taken it in yet

I have never had any problems with aftermarket t-stats. Made by Stant. Same with the rad cap. I think they are made in mexico now. Havent had any trouble with them though.

Honestly, my experiance. I have had more oem ford t-stats fail than stant. Especialy the larger diameter t-stats. Plus I never liked the large ford t-stats small passage ways.

Just bought a FORD thermostat and O-ring. Will install later this weekend. Cheaper than the $200.00 deductable they'll charge on the extended warranty. Hope it does the trick.

'07 ST

let us know if that solves the issue. I have to say Im not familiar with Gen 2 as much as I am with the Gen 1 so I don't know how tough of a job you got in your hands

Mine exhibited similar symptoms, the fan clutch was replaced (at my cost), didn't help. Temperature gauge still all over the place, radiator fan roaring almost all the time.

Picked it up Tuesday from the dealer (after another week and a half in a rental at my cost), both head gaskets were replaced and the heads resurfaced. They also replaced the thermostat, fluids, gaskets, catalytic converter and sensors. All under the power-train warranty. Barely.

Apparently with the failed head gaskets, the catalytic swallowed enough coolant as to be ruined.

Had them replace the spark plugs (at my expense) while they had the heads off as mine were the ones known (TSB) to break off during replacement.

Well, mines in the shop now for diagnosis and extended warranty repair if they find anything. Didn't even try anything myself. Hope it doesn't turn into a cluster.

Well, the dealer had it for a while and drove it quite a bit but couldn't get it to do it...which i knew they wouldn't. They said if they can't duplicate it or pull a code FORD won't do a thing under the extended warranty, I paid to have them change the thermostat just because everyone said that is the most likely thing to do. We'll see if it ever does it again.

'07 ST

I bet the thermostat replacement solves the problem.....curious to know what FORD charged to swap the thermostat if you don't mind sharing?

$200.00....yeah I know! Grandpa just wasn't feeling like it in 100 degree heat......

I think most people have touched on the most common and most likely issues.

Basicly, I think you need a complete Cooling system check to include the thermostat, and a pressure check for leaks, and check the radiator cap (often overlooked) . If you have not changed or flushed your coolant, then that may be needed as well as a check on the water pump and serpentine belt.

...Rich

This has narrowed my wife's next choice for a new car in the fall. She informed me it won't be a FORD!

07 ST,

Can't see any reason to blame Ford? It happens to all vehicles especiall when they get about 4-5 years old. I used to change all the hoses and belts about every 3 years because that is the most common early problems that will lead to headaches later and back then, hoses and belts were pretty cheap. Now they are getting better and more expensive but are still often the weakest link in the cooling system.

...Rich

Latest posts