##$G?>>>@&*** I hate chasing electrical wires under the dash

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Colvin

Reaction score
OK so I changed the Brake shift interlock actuator, damn thing still won't shift outta park. So the book says to check the black wire for resistance, Question 1) is that resistance from one of the other 2 wires in the wirning connection or just to ground? . Book also says to check light green wire for brake light power Question 2) is that on the brake position switch or one of the two non-black wires on the actuator harness. Question 3) I am using the Haynes manual for Ford Explorer 1991-2001, covering the Gen 1 Sport tracs,mines an /03 Adrenalin, can anyone tell me what year electrical schematic in the back is for my truck?. TIA for any help.

T

Well ok, I have now had a little break and am a little calmer. I should also note that I have done the systematic test set out by haynes, with key at lock position the gear shift does not move brake or not, with key in off gear shift moves with or without brakes. with key in on position and after starting gear shift does not move with or without the brake pedal. So I am thinking brake poisition switch, but I am getting brake lights. Just a shout out, this sight has been a huge help, I feel a little guilty about not being able to contribute more than just bitchy questions, so thanks again to those who share their knowledge so freely.

T

The brake pedal position switch is a multi purpose switch and just becasue the brake lights work doesn't mean that the other half of the switch is functioning. Fuse #9 in the fuse block on the left of the dash is the one for the shift interlock, make sure it is good before proceeding any further. If it is good check the light blue/black wire at the brake switch for power, if you have power there then check the red/light green wire at the shift interlock electricial connector for power while you are pressing on the brakes, if there is no power there then replace the brake switch. If you do have power then we need to check the ground circuit but let us know how this goes and we will go from there

Thanks for the direction. I took the wiring connection off the back of the brake switch to check the voltages and the wire (red/green) coming off the switch was broken right at the base of the fittiing that holds the wire in the connector. The guy who installed the remote start must have pulled it when he was splicing into the circuit/wire. So now how do you or can you remove just one wire form that 6 wire connector? I have a spare connector with wires so i am hoping to just pop out the broken wire and insert the pigtail one I have.

I know how to pull the wires out of the connector but don't know if I can explain it and it all depends on the type of connector. Can you post a pic of the connector you have??

OK it is finally fixed. For anyone interested the 6 wire connection block that slides into the brake pedal position switch has a small red bar that holds the the wires in the connector securely. You need to slide it out and then move the small tab that holds the wire fitting in place inside the connector. It is a very secure system for sure. Many thanks to all :haveabeer:. But I still hate chasing **##@$ wires under the dash. :grin:

Latest posts