FYI TO ALL ST Owners

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O W

Reaction score
I have a Haulmark 8 X 5 enclosed trailer. I have pulled it all over locally with my 2002 ST and also across country 2400 miles and never had a problem with handling. I recently moved across town and checked on a slightly larger trailer rental with U-Haul to cut down on the trips. Seems they wont rent to us, here is a copy of their policy.

"U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul we have built our success for over 60 years by saying 'yes' to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move."

Not a weight issue. U-Haul prohibits renting trailers to ANY Ford Explorer, including 2012 models. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, if you have not do it yet, do a search. In the past year or two there has been alot on here about it. I will never again rent from them. What I saw was several trucks and trailers that should NOT be on the road. I personally think the wreck problems were from U-Haul, the drivers, and the tire company. In that order. More than likely the trailers were not in good shape. The drivers are driving a vehcile with a higher center of gravity making it easier to flip over. The trailer may have started to fish tail and they didn't corrcet it right and flip it or wrecked it. This could be because of a number of reason, wind, weight, blown tire etc. I don't think Ford was at fault, they warn you on the visor and the manual about flipping. Now get this they will not rent to you if your vehicle has Explorer in the name. You can rent if you have a Mountainer even though it is Explorer with a different bage. In the first generation Explorer Sport Trac is the name. Sometimes you can rent a trailer from a place that sells them. Good Luck!

But U-Haul will sell & install a hidden hitch on a Gen 1 Sport Trac...go figure!

I filed a class action lawsuit against uhaul about 10 years ago. they are dirty in the way they do business. their trucks/trailers are rarely maintained to a suitable level. they overbook the rentals and then charge you a fee for 'canceling' your reservation, even though they screwed the pooch by overbooking. they are the definition of a dirty business.

I understand the early ST is on a Ford Ranger frame and went to the Twin I Beam Explorer frame later. I put in online with a 2002 Ranger for a trailer at U-Haul and it said that was OK. I agree about U-Haul renting unsafe junk. I just needed a trailer for a slow cross town move. When I moved across the country I used a late model Penske. I wouldn't think of driving one of those U-Haul clunkers without expecting something to go wrong.