FYI - How much mulch in the bed?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Travis

Reaction score
A Sport Trac can comfortably carry 1 yard of mulch.

Went to pick some up the other day and the guy filling the bed said some may spill out because of how short the bed was in comparison to how wide the scoop was on his tractor so I put down the gate, flipped out the rack, slipped in a piece of cardboard to keep the mulch from slipping through. He filled it up with minimal spillage. If I had the tonneau it would have fit on. Would think could have gone to maybe 1.3 Yards without dripping over the side.

I have pics but they are on the wife's camera.

JT#14

Thats awesome. Yea, the ST can handle the weight. Usually if you can fit it in the back, then it will probably handle it. Similar story, but a little more dirty. I had a big all scoop of cow manure put in the back of my ST. He spilled half of it on my bumper and the ground since his scoop was like 8ft:lol:....Let me tell you something, that crap, got some weight to it. I could just see my rear go down and down. I was hoping nothing would break, and thankfully nothing did, especially with my crappy, squeaky rear shocks. The manure, was like a mountain in the back of my ST, there was no way I could have fitted the cover on it. So after driving for about 20 miles, through the worst farm roads and bumpiest dirt roads, I got home. I sometimes felt a little bit embarrased for driving with bunch of crap in the back, but then I realized that I didnt care.:lol:. Although I did feel bad for the people behind me as some of it was blowing on to them.

Ahh, sorry, I dont mean to steal your post, just felt like sharing.

I wish our bed's were longer:(

I hauled 45 bags of mulch in my '01 with a v-6. Put it in 4wd high and she hauled it. I could tell, that the truck was feeling the load; but she came through like a trooper. Been thinking of doing the Rancho shocks and that roadmaster active suspension(hope i got it right), and replacing the leaf springs, if I have to. I think, the ST is not given a fair shake. I love mine.:)

Travis, An idea for the aftermarket folks ! A curved piece of galvanized metal to fit the rack held on with u-bolts.A bead on edge of metal to protect from sharp edges.

Take your idea to them and don't forget to negotiate a royalty for each one sold.

All I ask for this help is the first one for me.....FREE! :D

Bill

I always leave the tailgate up when I get a yard of mulch. Then when I get back to my house, I just take it off and scoop it out. Its much easier this way since you don't have to deal with the mulch that falls in the space between the bed and the tailgate.

I think I got you beat. I worked for a special inspection agency making concrete beams, they weigh about 45 lbs each. Loaded 35 into the bed once. thats 1,620 lbs. Susension held for the trip of around 8 miles to lab. Steering was really easy! Even the big truck boys (F350's) couldn't believe I carried that much, and finally gave the 'little guy' a little respect.

Try this little trick when hauling a yard of mulch:

Keep the tailgate down, open the bed extender (for those that have one), and drape a tarp over the extender, the tailgate and part of the bed...this way the extender has a solid cover to it, and the mulch doesn't fall between the tailgat and the bed where it is a pain to clean.

I have a large, old canvas tarp that I would use just for that purpose. May even have a pic in my library of hauling this way...

TJR

I've done it. Topsoil. It looked like a lowrider and that's with shackles. :cool:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I always leave the tailgate up when I get a yard of mulch. Then when I get back to my house, I just take it off and scoop it out. Its much easier this way since you don't have to deal with the mulch that falls in the space between the bed and the tailgate.

All you have to do to clean that area out is take off the door, slips off, slips on.

Here is some other stuff I had in there.

2001 ST[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

2007 ST

[Broken External Image]:

Had other stuff in there also but have not uploaded the pics.

I can get 28 bags (3 cubic feet) of Lowes cypress mulch in my Trac easily. I haven't tried the 2 cubic feet bags yet, but may have to this weekend- Lowes is out of the bigger ones.

Latest posts