Funky Fuel Guage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Smith 8

Reaction score
My fuel gauge has taken on a mind of its own. It sometimes reads the correct level but frequently it reads topped off full when I know its not. I can sometimes turn off the ignition completely and turn it back on to get it to read correctly, but this does not always work. Anybody had this problem / quirk? If so, are there remedies?

2003 ST 96K

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit; If you have been filling the tank with key on. It will make your gauge act crazy.

If so it might take 2 or 3 fillups. Key off to correct itself.

I noticed my 2002 would stay on full to long, then when it should show about 1/2 tank it began to drop. Sometimes it would drop to slowly then read about 1/8 tank all of a sudden. This has now been going on for over a year, but never giving a false reading when nearing empty. I now ignore it and at fill up reset my odometer and write the mileage down also. It has trained me to always monitor the mileage without thinking about it so actually feel more confident about not running out of fuel. I always fuel up at around 300 miles. In that window I am safe even in city driving here. (not recommended in city's like New York or L. A. where you may regularly get 5 mpg or less LOL).

Latest posts