Fuel Pump Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainbow SportTrac

Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while but I read quite a bit. I still have my 01 Job 1 ST with the 4.0 V6 with 135,000 miles.

It is not my daily driver so it sits a bit at a time. Recently it sat long enough to kill the battery, so we pulled it out to charge it up. After putting it back in, the ST wouldn't start.

It will start if I spray starter fluid in the intake, but dies immediately. I have a bit of a hearing problem, but my husband says that he cannot hear the fuel pump when I move the key to ON.

What we have done so far i this.

> Cleaned out the airbox (found a nest of something living there)

> Checked all the fuses and relays in the Power Distro box under the hood. all are good.

> Checked the intertia switch, it all seems good.

Some of my readings says it might be the FPDM. But the article I read was about an F150, so I have to confirm that. where is this item in the ST? It could also be the fuel pump died.

With all that said I have 3 questions.

1. Is there anything else i should check before having to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump?

2. If I have to replace the fuel pump, does it make it any easier to remove the bed of the truck first?

3. Have you guys found that the newer gas with the ethanol is eating the fuel components of these trucks?

Any help is appreciated.

It would be the fuel pump if you don't hear it because I had a Gm truck that worked one day than nothing the next day damn pump died and yes it is easier to remove the box than dropping the tank if you have the tools to do it and I have an 03 Trac and haven't had problems with the ethanol :banana:

Hi. Try this first: With the parking brake on, have you husband "beat" on the fuel take under the truck continuously with a rubber mallet or gloved hand. While he is doing this, you turn the key to the run position (not cranking) and you both listen for the fuel pump to hum for 1-2 seconds. If you hear it, try again this time cranking to see if it starts. This can happen when the truck sits for a long time or a sign of the pump going bad. The fuel pump can "stick".

You have fresh/some fuel in there correct?

Unfortunately, removing the bed will not grant you access to the fuel pump assembly. There is a cross member in the way.

Try this first, then report back. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, check the inertia switch well. Look for a melted connector where it plugs in. Press that red button down a few times while cranking

yes it is easier to remove the box than dropping the tank if you have the tools to do it

Unfortunately, removing the bed will not grant you access to the fuel pump assembly. There is a cross member in the way

Tony K- Realize you're trying to be helpful but giving false information is not. Thanks Mark.

fuel-tank-8212-sport-trac-removal-and-installation.pdf (See link below)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!! yes there is gas in it. I double checked.

markaprice73 thanks for the suggestion about banging on the tank. We will try that banging technique tomorrow. We were worried it was stuck as you indicated.

As for the inertia switch appears to be pressed in and we will check the wiring when it is daylight again.

How fresh is your fuel filter? I'd rule out the simplest, cheapest cause first by changing it. If your problem is actually the pump, you're going to want a new filter in there anyway.

Gen-1, Job-1 Sport Tracs were notorious for bad fuel pumps. Many developed early leaks (in the fuel tank) and would lose pressure after sitting overnight or sometimes just a few hours.

The first thing to do is check that the fuel pump relay cut-off switch is on and working. Check your manual for instructions on resetting the fuel pump relay. You said you did that, so the next thing would be sure that you are getting fuel pressure at the fuel injector manifold at the engine. You also need to insure you have spark.

If that fails to start the truck, you might try to turn on the key for about 15 seconds, but not try to start the engine. After 15 seconds, shut the ignition key off. You may want to do that several times for the fuel pump to build pressure in the fuel lines. Then try to start the engine. If that works, you will need to replace the fuel pump, but you may get buy for a little while by turning the key on to build pressure before attempting to start the engine.

If that does not help, then you may still have a bad pump, or a clogged fuel filter. Then, as previously stated, start by replacing the fuel filter. If that does not work, try then it is most likely the fuel pump, and that means dropping the fuel tank. If you have to go this route, the less fuel in the tank, the easier it is, so hopefully you don't have a full tank of gas. :grin:

...Rich

Also my 05 Trac had a fuel pump control module go bad, that will also cause the pump not to work. Mine was under the box on the cross over support, check that first mine was very corroded. Of course they changed the pump first then found the module was bad :(

Can you hear the pump running for a second or so when you first turn the key to "on"?

If not, I agree with resetting the inertia switch and the wiring connector plug on the switch. The inertia switch is located in the passenger kick panel.

If that is OK, check the fuel pump fuse. I believe it is in the box under the hood on your Trac. Owner's manual can help find it.

If the fuse is OK, check the fuel pump relay in the fuse box under the hood. You can try switching it out with the horn relay to see if that has any effect.

Failing these, you are going to need a Ford service manual and a multi-meter to start proper diagnosis.

Inertia switches can go bad, too. You can also pull the inertia switch and run a jumper wire across the terminals temporarily to see if it is the problem.

Latest posts