Fuel Pump for my 01 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Duckworth

Reaction score
Hello All!!

My fuel pump has dies on me. I am going to do the work and replace it myself.

Ok, here's the deal. I've decided to go with a used fuel pump that comes with a 1 year warranty. I called the Ford Dealership here in Tuscaloosa and asked them for the model number/part number of my fuel pump based on my VIN number. The guy in the parts department gave me the number/part # X L 2 Z 9 H 3 0 7 A L - - He also said that this number is probably not what the used part guy wanted, that this was a number that Ford used and not an actual part/model number of the fuel pump.

My question - - - - Where can I get the ACTUAL model number or part number of my fiel pump?? I want to make sure I order the correct one.

Thanks for any help,

rduckjr

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Part number appears to be on the label on top of the housing. (Step 14+)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just me, but. The amount of work involved. I would go new.

Do you know the history of the used one milage and age? How much difference in the price?

Checking out the parts houses websites, looks like two versions. One with just an outlet on sender, the other has outlet and return. I suspect Job1/Job2 versions?

One manufacturer shows the return system for any model made after 4/23/01.

Make sure to replace the strainer and filter with any pump replacement.

It's false economy to choose a used fuel pump. Looking at RockAuto and O'Reilly websites, it looks like you can replace just the fuel pump or the whole assembly. Whichever you choose, recommend you replace the associated gaskets and work in a well-ventilated space. Have a fire extinguisher nearby.

I agree with Vic. Its not wise to purchase a used fuel pump. There are just too many aftermarket pumps available cheaper than Ford's OEM prices, and probably as cheap or cheaper than the used parts and they come with as good or even better lifetime warranties.

Some Used parts are just not worth buying and fuel pumps and water pumps are two that are not worth the money unless they are for some rare or antique car that nobody makes replacement parts for, or you want to do a full concurs restore on the vehicle with only authentic factory OEM parts that were used at that time the vehicle was assembled.

....Rich

The used fuel pumps I've been looking at are $35. The new pumps are $180+ . I will be doing the work, so if it goes bad, I am only out $35 plus my time. With 3 kids, 1 in college, 2 birthdays and Christmas coming up, $35 makes more sense to me.

The used one comes w/a 1yr warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just changed the one in my 2003 on Friday; pump cost me $240 from O'Reily's and took about 3 hours to put in. Not a hard job...just a lotta little PITA things...like removing the hose from the filler neck. Tank is only held in with 2 bolts; one each holding the T straps. Make sure you have the right tool to remove the fuel lines, and that the tank is as empty as you can get it...

I hold a post online that showed how to remove the tank...it was very helpful.

Hey folks.

I have a 2001 Sport Trac, Job 1.

I am fixing to order my fuel pump but want to make sure of something . . .

My fuel pump, it only has 1 port right?? I port, no flex fuel?? Right???

Thanks for any help!!

rduckjr