fuel pump fiasco

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry E

Reaction score
This is an update on the on-going saga of my start/no start truck......Thanks for all of your earlier suggestions and assistance on the fuel pump calamity. During this latest escapade, the truck sat in a parking lot for 4 days....I tried starting it 8 different times over the course of those four days. The fuel pump never came on. Relay and fuse were fine. This problem has been going on now for two months stranding me on seven occasions. If I let the truck sit for several hours it will start...but twice it would not start until it sat for about 12+ hours. Fuel shut off mechanism was ok and I tried 3 different keys in case the PATs module was the problem. Banged on the fuel tank. Nothing helped. I finally called a tow truck today....and wouldn't you know it, the sucker started! It had sat for four days and refused to start the 8 times I tried it....I am not a mechanic but I have a question for you guys out there that are competent wrench turners: Is it possible (because we had very hot weather today in the high 80's) for the truck to start even if the fuel pump didn't work???? My idea is that today's high temperature caused the fuel/fumes to expand enough to allow the engine to start.....and.....once started, doesn't a vacuum keep the injectors supplied with fuel? I know that probably sounds far-fetched to you seasoned mechanics but I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on with this truck. Anyway, I guess I'll change out the fuel pump....cause it's going to keep happening if I don't (hopefully, that has been the problem all along). The truck has 36k on it. Best regards to all of you. Barry

No, there is no vacuum fuel theory on a fuel injected car. Fuel injectors need fuel pressure to work. Check the power going to the pump. If you have power and the pump is not running, replace the pump.

This really is not rocket science and you are making it harder than it has to be.

Tom

I would say as Caymen said. Probably a loose wire and/or a bad pump. Let the shop do the testing (they will have the equipment) and replacement/fix. Vehicles are like that. As soon as a wrench turner comes around it, it acts like a kid at the doctor's office when they see the needle, "I'm fine now".;)