Fuel Moisture?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have about 120,000kms on the truck. Over the past few days the temp has been about 0 degrees. Today and tonight it dropped below 0. I left work, truck started fine. While I was driving, the truck was "missing" a couple of times. I heard the fuel pump possibly "knocking" a few times. I stopped for about 15 minutes. When I went to try and restart it it, it took several long minutes to start. It was turning over fun, just not starting. Once I got it started the fuel pumping was "knocking". My low fuel light came on and I fueled up, put in two bottles of gasline antifreeze in as well. The truck took a bit to start again. But it ran fine all the way home, no "knocking" or missing. Once I got home I let the truck sit for a bit, then it struggled again to restart. But ran fine once I got it going. I shut it off, and restarted it several times. So is there a possibility of moisture in the fuel? Or is the fuel pump or an injector bad? Thanks.

Today, most gasolines contain up to about 10%-11% alcohol. Alcohol will mix with water and keep it from freezing...so the knocking sound would not be the fuel pump trying to pump ice. It sounds like your fuel pump might be about ready to give up and die.

Many of the issues that came up with the Gen1 Sport Trac's V6 problems mays still exist in the Gen2 V6.

Two problems that seemed to start when temperatures droped to near or below freezing are the leaking fuel pump pressure, and the sticking oil pressure sending unit. These two things should be totally unrelated to temperature, but the first signs of problems tended to show up at the same time the temperaure dropped below 35 degrees. Both of these hit my 2001 Sport Trac around the first time we got hit by some cold/freezing weather....and other here have reported similiar problems associated with cold weather.

...Rich

Sounds as ifyou have alot of condensation in your fuel from, rapid temp drop.

Or you pump is about to quit. The ethenol-alcohol should asorb the moisture. Alcohol burns, but there maybe too much moisture. It might take a while before the additives mix with the moisture completely.

The knocking and missing most likely is. If there is alot of moisture. It has affected the octane rating of the fuel. The motor is making the knocking. Until normal temp is achieved.

Try a pint or so of Isopropyl alcohol in your tank at least 99% solution. It is found in the better antifreezes. It costs, but is better at grabbing and purging water out of the system. Keep tank fuller in colder conditions. Just my 2 cents worth.

So here's what has gone one today. Went out this mornign to try and start it, nothing. There was no juice. I put a charge on the battery and it started, after some hesitation. I drove to work, no problems at all. Then I went out on my lunch to try and start it, again nothing. The battery wasn't holding a charge, so I dropped in a new battery. It hesistated with the new battery but started right up. Came home did some running around and turned the truck on and off several times. Turned over no problem. I thought everything was great, then tonight when I was coming home, it stuttered a couple of times. So 'em I looking at a possible new fuel pump? Thanks.

When's the last time you changed the fuel filter? Replacing it is an relatively inexpensive way to rule out fuel starvation. You can do it yourself, but it's a bit messy. Most fast lubes can pop one in very quickly at reasonable cost. Additionally, I'd pull a couple of spark plugs to see how they look. I've never heard of adding pure alcohol to gas, though, and wouldn't do it myself. It doesn't mix well with gasoline, and goes to low point of tank where it attracts water.

I've never heard of adding pure alcohol to gas, though, and wouldn't do it myself. It doesn't mix well with gasoline

Vic, Is does asorb the water and will burn with the gas. Wont hurt anything. For a small amount water in the gas. A bottle of 90% isopropal is cheaper than additives. seen it used for years. I keep a bottle in the shed for small engines even. A mower or such that sat up and condensated the tank. 2 capfuls will make it start up and run normal.

also have used it in cars. Be sure it is 90%.....

I'll keep it in mind. We have a product called Quickshot that's specifically made for solving ethanol problems in small engines. It's very effective, and even earned a "Best New Product" award from SEMA. For automobile engines our recommended product is P.i. Performance Improver.

I'll keep it in mind. We have a product called Quickshot that's specifically made for solving ethanol problems in small engines. It's very effective, and even earned a "Best New Product" award from SEMA. For automobile engines our recommended product is P.i. Performance Improver.

Vic,

How is quikshot for 6 to 8 months of fuel storage.

I have 6500watt generator wired to my house. During huricane season. I store 30 gallons of fuel. I use sta-bil for the storage and the ethenol problem for small engines.

At the end of huricane season I use the fuel in cars.

Amsoil's price is higher. Is it rated better than sta-bil for my service.

Tycomike, sorry for the highjack.

So here is the latest. I'm finidng I can't always here the fuel pump running when I furst put the key in the "on"position. That is when it isn't starting. The plugs and fuel filter I did in the summer of 2010. Is it possible it is just a relay for the fuel pump? It's going into the mechanic tomorrow for the driver's side wheel bearing. Hopefully he can find the problem. Thanks.

****Update****

So I go out out this morning, no start. No noise from the fuel pump. It gets towed (for the first time ever), to my mechanice. Mechanice just called, its the fuel pump. It doesn't end there, a few other things are now needed to get done.

1 - Fuel pump

2 - Front driver's side wheel bearing (I knew of this)

3 - Idler pulley

4 - Serpentine belt

When it's all said and done, I'm out $1,500. Can you say OUCH! But ate least it died in drive way, and it needs to be done. All in all I still LOVE my Sport Trac. Thanks.

Be sure and check the fuel pump relay switch under the passenger side dashboard, up at the top of the floor mat.

If your mechanic didn't recommend a new fuel filter I think that would've been wise. If old filter left in and it's partially blocked, you're going to have extra stress on your new fuel pump. My personal preference is to change fuel filter at 30K intervals.

I agree with Vic on a new filter. My reason is. If the pump failed from wear and tear. The filter may have metal junk in it.

I had a pump on a t-bird fail. When I benched it. It wouldnt run. I peeled the bottom open and removed the pump gears. Then the motor part ran. That meant it failed from wear and tear and locked up.

Yes my mechanic did replace the fuel filter. Now a week later I go to start it, nope. It started a chugged for about 30 seconds then died. Now it's not even running. What the heck now? I'm waiting for the tow truck now.

Latest posts