Fuel Milage Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO your fuel mileage is unacceptable. I would tell you to take it to a good mechanic that has the ability to track down an issue like this but it seems as if in the USA there is a bonafide lack of good mechanics that are actually capable of finding this issue becasue "the check engine light ain't on"

How many miles on the vehicle?

Have you owned it since new? if so has the mileage always been this bad?

Are you leading the pack when the stop light turns green?

When is the last time you had the vehicle tuned up?

Who needs a scan gauge to monitor fuel mileage...get yourself an obnixously loud exhaust and then try to drive while making the least amount of noise possible...better than a scan gauge any day of the week

l1tech,

Who needs a scan gauge to monitor fuel mileage...get yourself an obnixously loud exhaust and then try to drive while making the least amount of noise possible...better than a scan gauge any day of the week

:bwahaha::bwahaha:

I think my neighbors would kill me until I learned to pedal softly :grin:

I agree that his mileage is unacceptable, and that most mechanics will not even deal with poor mileage issues. Part of that stems from the fact that 10 people can drive the exact same vehicle and get some very radically different mileage...Hence the term "Your Mileage May Vary".

Without getting a CEL, or having irratic engine symptoms, one would have to assume that the engine is in tune and has no obvious mechanical problems. When even anyone here mentions to check the tire pressures, tire size or not to carry excess weight in the vehcle, and all the other things that cut into fuel mileage. Frankly, I think 90% of the people do not know how to drive to save gas. That's why I think it's more likely driving habits than the fault of the vehicle...and something like a ScanGauge or UltraGauge can help train the driver to know how to maximize his fuel mileage.

You are right about many of the mechanics out there today. They do not know how to diagnose problems and just want to remove and replace parts and charge high labor rates.

I have taken a new vehicle back to the dealer (3 days old) for poor gas mileage and all he did was adjust the idle which had no effect on the road mileage (carburated engine). I found out the problem was with the power valve design (GM called it a Velocity Enrichment System) that was sticking wide open. I could not find another power valve to replace it, so I bought a whole new carb with the older style power valve and that cured the problem.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts