Fuel injector service

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Willis

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten their fuel injectors cleaned at their dealership? I'm thinking of getting it done since the trac has almost 50,000 on it. Is it worth the near $200 or is any good injector service just the same?

Imo, injector service is a farce, unless the motor is running bad ,and injectors are the cause....I have never done that service on any of my EFI cars..I just use a good injector cleaner in the tank every 20 to 25k....

EDIT; also I never buy gas from no name places...they tend to not have the best quality detergents in there gas....

Last edited by a moderator:
The dealership i go to will almost guarantee a 1-2mpg increase after their injector flush. My dealership only charges $89.95, how can yours be almost $200??? I wouldnt pay that much, but i'll pay $90... I had it done on a past vehicle and it actually did give it better acceleration...SO i wouldnt totally discourage doing it. I think ill be doin it in the spring with my trac at about 110k.

Andy

The dealership i go to will almost guarantee a 1-2mpg increase

So if your mileage does not improve they 'almost' give you your money back?:rolleyes:

I think they clean the entire fuel system or something like that. I can't remember exactly. I also use Lucas Oil injector cleaner every time I change the oil (3000 miles). Good point on going with name brand gases. My dad says gas is gas, but I know better. I can tell a difference when running Bob's bargain gas or similar. I'll double check what all gets done with the extra money and see why it's so much more. Thanks for the reply's and Gavin for the link.

I will give you a good detail answer on this in the morning. Just got home and need to get to bed.... Been a VERY LONG day.

RIP-OFF!!!!!!!

I have never had my injectors cleaned on any vehicle I have. I run the cheapest gasoline you can buy and I do not have problems.

Change your fuel filter on a regular basis and be done with it.

I don't even put any of that crap they sell at Autozone that is supposed to be an injector cleaner.

Tom

Ok, there are more than a few views on this...

First off. Injectors are nothing more than sophisticated solenoids that also have pop type valves in them that require a certain amount of pressure for them to work properly.

So, if a little tiny man crawls into your intake and puts his thumb over the end of the injector this is what happens. All the systems operate properly and the un-used fuel returns to the fuel tank. Since there is a return to the fuel tank the fuel takes the path of least resistance. Since his thumb is over the hole it is easier to return to the tank. Traditional fuel injector cleaners will take the same path so they really do not clean an injector if is is plugged. If it is a good operating injector they will HELP keep them clean and operating properly.

Many companies offer fuel injection cleaning. Most of them do nothing more than put a pressurized can (Or external container of some form) onto the input side of the fuel rail. They turn it on and start the car. Once it is empty the car stalls. This method is the middle of the road as at least it all goes into the rail and has the opportunity to pass thru the injectors.

A second method is where they thread into the Shrader Valve and pretty much do the same thing as above. It is the lower of the three methods as the fuel pump in your OEM tank is still running the vehicle with the gas in your tank. It simply picks up some of the cleaner on the way past the Shrader Valve.

The third way and one that works very well is the Motor-vac system. Ford created it some time ago and had a copyright on it for years. A few years back Snap-On and now other companies have copied the system as the rights have been lifted.

This system requires your to remove both the inlet and outlet lines of the fuel rail. You need to pull the fuse or trip the fuel pump inertia valve to disable the fuel pump.

You hook up lines to the fuel rail. On the Motor-vac unit it has a self contained fuel tank as well as a pressure regulator. You look up the specs on the proper pressure that the vehicle runs at at max pressure. You increase it by 10 to 15%. The return line exists only in the event that there is a true blockage. It allows the fuel to dump back to the self contained tank. In this tank you add a cleaner, (Motor Vac Liquid). You turn on the remote unit until it starts to dump back to the self contained tank. This ensures all is good to go and the air has been purged from all the lines.

Start the vehicle.

The return line is restricted so that you can build up adequate pressure in the system. Now, the fuel and cleaner is FORCED thru the injectors as opposed to simply dumping into the bypass of the injector. The new path of least resistance is thru the injector as the return line is restricted. This system actually does a very good job and almost always smooths out engine stumble as well as restores your gas mileage.

Takes about 20 to 25 minutes in general of run time. Takes about 1.5 to 2 hours to do this job.

At out shop we charge $139.00 to do this service. We also clean the throttle body and the IAC at the same time, (using the Motor-Vac fluid).

A bit long but a good description of your options....

Coastie, do you work at a dealership? If so, do all dealerships perform this method of cleaning the injectors? Also, you mentioned your shop cleans the throttle body and IAC along with the $139 service; assuming you are at a dealership, is there a fuss when you see an aftermarket intake is installed?

Not a dealership.

My family has owned our shop for 23 years now. So we have no concern as to what intake is on. We do it as it helps with the complete service. If the throttle body is pretty dirty all the other cleaning will only be as good as the poor condition throttle body..

That kind of thinking has kept us in business and doing very well...

Just a bit huh.

How about with 10% off.....

I am no longer there as I am full time with the government. But I do still have a stake in it and always try to help out and do the right thing.

I should get a price on just the cleaner and let members buy it. It is what Ford uses to clean the intakes, throttle bodys and IAC. It will NOT remove the Teflon coating that is inside of the intake and choke body of the throttle body..

Latest posts