Fuel Filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conrad AlbertoJr

Reaction score
I just wanted to post how much of a difference changing out my fuel filter made in my truck's performance. When the dealer wanted 70 bucks to change it I decided to do it myself. Once I figured out how to get it off, clean up the spilled gas, and wash my hair and arms multiple times to get the fumes off, it went pretty well. ;)

I took her for a test drive and the acceleration is so much smoother. The idle is not as rough either. It only took about 20 minutes to do the actual work, and it saved me 60 bucks!

Next time I'll remember to have something to plug the lines and collect the gas....

Conrad

I agree.... Mine was well overdue at 113,000.... I couldn't believe the gunk that was coming out of that thing!

A must do for anyone putting it off..

Especially with the way gas prices are.. Anything helps with the mileage we get outta these things..

I changed mine Saturday, and it seems to solved my truck's issues as well. Mine was stalling like crazy...

I also had the spilling although I used the procedure posted in the Projects section. But worse, it was a huge PITA to disconnect the line from the front of the filter towards the engine... I was cussing like a sailor until that thing came loose! But it was worth it once the job was done. The last two days, the truck has sailed right along... :)

$70 to change the fuel filter? That's why I don't ever go to a dealer for service. The lube place down the street only charges me $20, which includes the price of the filter. Definitely worth the money.

for 70 at least 45 or 50 is labor probably and the rest is the part and mark up on the price of the part! wow! glad I don't have to go to a dealership.

miledge should start getting better with the switch over to summer blend gas. I know Pa does that as well as AZ. (I'm sure more state gas companies probably do the switch)

BTW, which end did we disconnect first and which color wrench did we use (orange or red?) I can't remember and I'm probably gonna change mine out on Friday since it's been about 2 years.

Jeff.. Red..and the one closest to the rear came off first..;)

*update* LOL.. Yup, I double checked that picture.. It was the red one for sure.

Last edited by a moderator: