Fuel Filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's pretty easy to do (on my 01'). Just go to your local parts store and get a fuel line disconnect tool for about $5.00. I'm not sure if all tracs filters are in the same location but mine is on the frame under the driver side door. It's a canister, you cant miss it! There is a project in the project section that will explain it all (click projects on the list to the left, go to maintainance, 7th post from the bottom), but the lowdown is....... First you have to kill the fuel supply by pulling the pump fuse in your fuse panel under the hood. Then slide the tool into the line (the tool will "scissor" around the smaller line and go inside of the larger line), then just push until you hear it snap loose. Repeat for the other side, install new filter by pushing the lines in, reinstall fuse, start up trac and check for leaks!

Here's a link that should help out. Buy the colored Anodized fuel filter tool, don't waste your time with the cheaper double sided aluminum tool, it won't fit inside the clips.

Also spray some wd40 or like into the clips and fittings before you try to disconnect, it'll flush out any dirt or debri stuck up inside the clips.

No, not the same. Tracket, you have a 1st Gen right? There's a project for our '01-05 ST fuel filters in the maintenance section of the project section. :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2003 and tried the plastic tools first, I promptly replaced them with the aluminum type.

My question was in relation to Nosnap33's 2008 ST and the above references to tools. Yet the link shows tools are not to be used on 2007 and up.

Replaced my fuel filter a month ago. Very easy. Pump is in front of the fuel tank. Remove the plastic cover. Pop the clips loose and disconnect the hoses.

Took all of 10 minutes, if that long.

Mine was quite full of junk as it didn't drain very easily, though after 90,000 miles that should be expected.

Next is the alternator. The light has been flashing quite frequently now. Shouldn't be too hard to replace after looking things over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts