Fuel Filter trouble

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy Griggs

Reaction score
Ok, I've read all the post. I bought the right tool. I can NOT get my fuel filter clips to release!!! Is there anyone in Charlotte, NC that would be willing to help me out that has change one or knows what in the world I am doing wrong? 2001 ST

Billy

Welcome to the club. Ford fuel filters are a pain in the ass. Never again will I attempt to change one out myself. There will be some individuals that will tell you it's a breeze. According to my mechanic, about 25% of them come out with ease, about 25% come out with just a little bit of finagling, and about half are nothing but a huge pain in the ass. Even for a mechanic that has changed hundreds. Something Ford definitely need so improve.

I use the "inexpensive" (read cheap) plastic tool that comes in a package of, I think, six. It's the second to the smallest (don't remember the size). It works for me. The only difficulty I have is sliding the fuel line off the filter due to the friction, but he tool works fine for opening the clips. Try twisting the filter as you pull it.

Billy, make sure you got one that says it is for "Ford Fuel Filters". I got one that was cheaper and said "Universal" and it din't have the correct size. I went and got the one that said it was for Ford and it worked. Still not easily mind you, but it did work after really jamming it in there and putting alittle pressure on the line coupling and they popped off. It really is a pain in the ass, but it can be done. Took me a total of 45 min. to get it off AFTER I got the right tool.;)

I just bought one for my wifes blazer and one end has the fitting that I can use a wrench on but the other end looks like the st fitting. I was gonna change it sat but that scared me off until I check into getting the tool I need. Just another thing they want you to take your vehicle to a dealer for.:angry:

I just bought one for my wifes blazer and one end has the fitting that I can use a wrench on but the other end looks like the st fitting. I was gonna change it sat but that scared me off until I check into getting the tool I need. Just another thing they want you to take your vehicle to a dealer for.

Theresa's Pontiac is the same design. Beawre the threaded end. A the line wrenches round out the nut and you will end up twisting the fuel line. You then might need to swap the fuel line to the tank. The clip side comes apart, though not as easy as the Ford one does, do to the space.

I actually replace Theresa's every year to prevent me from having to deal with replacing a fuel line.

Tom

The labor charge to replace it at my local Ford Dealer was $25.00. I am glad I had them do it. The mechanic tried to remove it for about 15 minutes. He then went and got another mechanic and after about 5 more minutes they got it off. They said every so often they get one like that.

Changed out one yesterday (first time at 60K mi.) with my brother who had already changed out his. He provided the silver metal release tool and we were done in about 20 minutes. Open hood, remove fuse, prime ignition a time or two, crawl under, release two clips ('01) one either side of filter, insert tool at junction of metal tube and rubber hose, push/twist until you feel click, twist/turn tube/filter until line slides off, repeat process on other side, reattach clips, slide filter into clasp on frame, put fuse back in and fire up engine;). Watch for the gasoline spillage. Total loss I guess was equal to a cup.

The reward for the unwary for finally disconnecting the fuel filter, a face full of fuel.

If you can, I have found that you get the best results if you let your vehicle sit overnight before you change out the fuel filter. This allows the fuel pressure in the line to relieve itself and drain back into the tank. Taking out the fuse and cranking the ignition as Teasip mentioned relieves the remainder of the fuel in the line going into the engine.

Nothing more wretched than getting some fuel in your nose and mouth, yum:(

The plastic tools are notorious for not working very well. The metal ones work much better and are only a few dollars more than the worthless plastic ones.

...Rich