fuel efficiency

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a ST 2007 XLT v8 4x2, i getting in on 05/29/2007 with 22 kms (13.66mph) is the second full tank and my average is 9.6 mpg. :(

my odo say 303 km ( 188 miles ), put 18.77 gal of gas.

i think, i drive like a little old lady, i drive at 49 -50 mph at 1500 - 2300 rpm.

i think buy a air filter to replace the original.

is only one thing can i do, becouse in Mexico any modification that do a ST, i loose the warranty (3 years).

i whish to buy a ford racing parts (i know are more expensice), but when i talk with a warranty service chief, he toldme, i can´t do any mod to ST becouse i loose the warranty.

any suggestions

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Eduardo, what is the level of gas quality and octane in Mexico? Also if you get an ethanol mix of gas your mileage will be less.

This remnds me of a similar conversation I had on some mustang forums a couple years ago when I got my 05 mustang. Some were getting 12 mpg and others were getting 25 mpg.

I still say the driver is the biggest obstacle with getting better mileage. With my ST on my worst tank, driving hard and racing it often, I still got better than 15, and on my best 100 mile trip to my corporate office and back I got 24. I am sure that on a flat highway and no wind, and no stops, and after breakin I could do better than that. I routinely get 18-21 on an entire tank with some in town and hwy miles. I can not imagine getting 10-13 mpg in this thing, I would have to literally floor it each stoplight and slam on the brakes each stop.

Gas quality, GVW, environment (wind, heat, cold, rain, snow), road condition, elevation changes, and of course mods can all affect the mpg you get.

My 4 cylinder Dodge SRT-4 only got in the mid 20's, and it's amazing that with a V8 and about 2000 lbs more I can get almost the same mileage and do so much more. My 2005 stang GT gets a couple more mpg than my ST. My Dodge pickups (1995 V10, 2001 V10 and 1995 V8) all got 10-12 mpg, so I consider my ST a very gas friendly vehicle by my own standards.

I'm with you, Eduardo, and I'm using 87oct Chevron gas only. I've been getting 11.5 mpg consistently with mixed freeway and city driving, although I have a heavy foot. So as an experiment I decided to try to baby it on this last tank of gas to see how good it can get: no hard acceleration, etc. Now, I've only been driving slowly around town so far (no freeway yet), but I'm getting 10.4 mpg. Maybe it's time for that TSB.....

JohnnyO, the level gas quality is very poor compared with that sell in USA,

i fill tank with 87 Oct and i get that miles, but if i fill the tank with 93 oct. "only" get 11.3 mpg, i know are 1.1 mile more of efficieny, but the cost for that extra mile are around 10 usd.

compare

87 oct 93 oct

fill $45 $55 with the same liters of gas

i think in add some gas booster, but i dont know is this help

dcpmark what do you mean TSB? Trottle System Body?

if yes, i will save money to buy one at Zabteck

regards

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. There is one that among other things fixes inaccurate MPG readings.....

#1 method for better fuel efficiency, do not drive you sport trac. Use alternative forms of locomotion without using gas. ie bicycle.

#2 put a full tank each time, then you will always be getting the best price under rising gas prices.

#3 save your money dont mod your truck.

dcpmark, ditto what the other said about your gas mileage. I never saw this in any other cars I bought new, but for some reason the ST engine got HORRIBLE gas mileage the first 10K miles.

NelsonIKC,

I agree. Both of my two Sport Trac's got crappy mileage until they hit about 10K miles, and suddenly it was like you flipped a switch. The mileage rapidly improved to where I could get 21-22 MPG on a trip without any effort to try to conserve gas. In town I get 16-18 MPG

...Rich

Latest posts