fuel delivery

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Thorne

Reaction score
Hi all. When I went to start the Trac today, there was no gas getting to engine. It turned over ok but the fuel pump did not prime when turning the truck over.

I checked the inertia switch by the passenger side kick pannel, I could push the centre part down but it would but it just popped back up. It was not sticking up, just at the top of the switch.

A quick look at the manual, did not tell me what number the fuel pump relay was under the hood in the power box there. If someone know the number that would be great.

Before I take it to the shop, is there anything else I could look for or other common issues?

The truck has 200k km or 124k miles, 05 4x4.

Sounds like a faulty fuel shutoff inertia switch or plug. Did you try a jumper wire on the connector? See link below.

Last edited by a moderator:
The inertia switch button will not "stick up" If you go to push it and it is not tripped it won't feel like you are actually doing anything. How do you know there was no fuel getting to the engine? Did you put a fuel pressure gauge on it?

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, but when I sprayed gas into the intake it fired right up then quickly died. The inertia switch felt like you described l1tech, like nothing happened.

I took it into the shop, first time the Trac has been there other than for etest. I just didn't feel like dropping a half full gas tank in -10 weather.

Check the fuel pump fuse and relay first. If fuse is blown, there might be a problem. If Relay is bad, doenst mean the pump is bad. Replace the relay. Might save a trip to the shop.

Well simple fuel pump replacement has turned into more. Guy at the shop said the fuel control module was also shot, and only Ford replacement part no after market parts. Add another $250 bucks to the bill. I'll be lucky to get the truck back after 4 days and $1000 dollars later.

I will bite the bullet next time and do my own work next time, no matter how cold it is outside :cry:

You got it. They said the truck ran for 5 min then crapped out again because of the module after the new sending unit was put in. Had already taken sending unit apart by the time I got there after work.

Needless to say I won't be going back to that shop.

Todd,

Im thinking like Scott. If they knew what they were doing. They would trouble shoot the whole control loop before replacing any parts.

My guess is they didnt know the '05 fuel pump is not a pressure return type. It is what some would call a pulse driven, for fuel pressure. There-for the control module.

I had a fuel pressure issue last year. Mine was the fuel rail pressure sensor. Self repair for $100. Some shops probably would have done to me. What they done to you.

Stories like this really get me ticked off. There are too many techs, I use the word techs loosely, out there that don't have a clue how to properly diagnose a problem. They give the automotive repair industry a bad name. They guess at the easy repair and then they are confused when that does not fix the problem. I see this with dealerships more than anything and they get away with it because people think that dealerships are the be all end all when it comes to fixing their cars. At my 2 shops if we tell you that the work that we are going to do is going to fix your problem we stand by it or else you don't pay...it's just that simple. We are not the cheapest nor are we the most expensive but at the end of the day I feel good about what we do for our customers. I wish you luck in dealing with these idiots.

I wish I had done a little more research before I decided to take it to the shop, I was expecting them to diagnose it better than they did. After seeing some of the stuff on the Internet and u tube with the f150's modules I definitely would have looked at that first, seems to be a very come problem in northern areas with trucks this age.

Expensive lesson learned, but could have been worse, I was just up north ( 6 hrs away from home ) on the weekend before it happened, 2 hrs away from any where that could have fixed it and probably a week or better waiting for parts, glad it happened at home.

Latest posts