Fuel Cap Light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Cogar

Reaction score
For some reason my Fuel cap light keeps coming on. The first time it happened i got a new fuel cap. Then it came on again. So i got a new fuel filter. Then it came on again......now what?

Check the evap. hoses on top of the spare tire and the vent tube beside the filler neck, sometimes these can come disconnected or clogged and cause the light/ code.

Also whenever you fill up take and move the rubber o-ring ont he gas cap up towards the the middle/ top onf the shaft. I do this everytime I fill up and haven't had a code or light since.

:banana:

The fuel cap light is misleading. The pcm runs a test on the evap system at certain intervals and conditions, the pcm also constantly monitors how much fuel is in the tank. Now if the pcm detects that fuel has been added to the tank and then the evap test fails it thinks that the most likely casue is a loose fuel cap being that the test ran and passed prior to fuel being put in. There is no test that the pcm can do to determine that the fuel cap is actually bad...it's more of a best guess scenario based on certain criteria.

i have a 03 xlt mine does it all the time. i have replaced the gas cap three times, and had the evap under the back tire and under the hood replaced. and mine still does it all i do now is clear the code and stays gone for a month or so and comes back.

hdt,

had the evap under the back tire and under the hood replaced

Who replaced all the Evap system parts? Did they do any diagnotic work before replacing the parts? You have thrown a lot of money at the problem and it appears that it is still not fixed?

Like l1tech said, the codes for the Evap system can be misleading and the system is rather complicated. The system really need to be diagnosed, rather than just throwing parts at it. Sure, replacing the obvious gas cap is fine and may be a quick, cheap solution to the problem if the gas cap was the cause. But after the first new gas cap I would have suspected something else was wrong.

Replacing the evap canister and the various purge valves, etc will not solve the problem if you have a leaking or clogged vacuum hose, or a bad wire connector? Properly diagnosing the system is neccesary to saving you money by only repairing or replacing the cause of the problem.

...Rich

Ditto, what Rich said.

I would break out the $$s', and have the sytem smoke tested. That is what the green cap under the hood is for.

As Scott said.

This system can be very misleading for the layman. If you cant find a bad or diconnected hose. All you do is :banghead: your head.

Latest posts