Fuel Availability in Dallas

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson Atwell

Reaction score
My Fiancee's daughter called, and they are almost to Dallas, as they evacuated from Houston this morning. They have almost no gas left, and none of the stations on the Interstate have gas. I am on stand-by to run down to get them tonight or tomoorow morning, if they can't find fuel in Dallas.

If anyone is here from Dallas, please let me know what the status is there regarding fuel. If there are indeed shortages and they can't get fuel, I will go out and fill some gas cans tonight in preparation of my trip down there.

Thank you for your help with this. :D

Im in Dallas, and rumors of gas shortage have been going around like crazy, yet where ever i go I havnt seen one station out yet, and the price is still low. I filled up 2 hrs ago and it was $2.70 per gallon. if we were short prcies would be higher. I wouldnt be too concerned, if anything, one station might run out because everyone is panicing here and are stocking up on gas. But I would be on stand by just in case, because you could never know what might juss happen.

Boodro

I just filled up and there were about twenty people there. But i did see a a truck full tank of gas pulling up so I doubt they will run out.

perhaps they need to drive a mile or 2 off the interstate for fuel... makes sense that those stations along the evacuation routes would run out first.

Stations just north of Dallas have higher than normal volume of cars filling up but nothing horrible. I had gas go up $.14/gallon while I was filling up this evening (checked the receipt to see which price I actually got).

There is no gas left in Houston period. Kind of funny since we are supposed to be the "energy capital of the world". Or anywhere between Houston and Dallas or San Anotnio or Austin. Glad I'm not on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over 1.5 million people in their cars can use a tremendous amount of gasoline. Well beyond the capacity of any system to resupply the stations.

I bought gas this afternoon here in Waco, TX. The TV News was showing lines at some of the discount supermarket gas stations that were selling regular for $2.49 a gallon. I paid $2.52 a gallon at the local Exxon and there was no line and I drove right up to the pump with nobody waiting in line. Other gas stations selling gas for $2.55-$2.59 were pretty much empty.

So I think the stations selling gas at the lowest prices may sell out first but others still have gas, you just may pay a few cents more. My recommendation would be to go 2+ miles off the interstate to get your gas and you will probably not have much trouble finding any.

All of this is subject to change in the next few days when Rita hits the Houston, Galveston area where there are about 15 refineries.

...Rich

Nelson,

Listened to the "Truckin' Bozo Show" tonight on 700 am radio, and a trucker called

in from 40 miles n. of Dallas, and said that ther was gas, for now (11:30 p.m.,

CST), but there were lines off of the interstate stations of up to 5 cars per pump.

If you do have to go on a "rescue mission", don't forget to take some gas for

yourself, just in case!

Hope the get where they are going SAFELY.:)

My plan was to take around 25-30 gals of fuel. They made it safely to Dallas, and filled their tank. They have plenty of fuel now to get to OKC. :cool:

Darin was right - that many people driving that far at the same time will run stations within 5 miles of the interstate out of gas. But it will ease the further north they get.

I read a story about someone sitting in the same spot for 2 hours with the engine running. I know it was hot, but stop the car and get out. That way you will not use any gas and also be able to see down the highway better so you know when the traffic will start moving again. But people just can't give up the a/c and other creature comforts - even when fleeing for their lives.

The same story talked about some OU students going a whole 20 miles in 8 hours. Said you couldn't even pull off to the side of the road. Also, a lot of people, after seeing the traffic, have decided to ride it out in Houston.

Here's another lesson to be learned from the hurricane fall of 2005 - it's damned difficult to evacuate a large city. Maybe we need better planning there as well?

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another lesson to be learned from the hurricane fall of 2005 - it's damned difficult to evacuate a large city. Maybe we need better planning there as well?

Werd. The devil is in the details, i.e. everybody evacuate in this direction....oops, not enough gas to get 3 million people that far. New Orleans had a great disaster plan on paper, but #1 didn't implement much of it and #2 didn't plan the details. For example the plan said that people without transportation would be bused out but they didn't line up bus drivers.

Link to the plan is here but it doesn't seem to be working now. Probably too many people laughing at it. The margin links work though.

Is anyone else wondering why the majority seem to be headed north - along the projected path of the hurricane? Why not go west - and/or south. Mexico, San Antonio, Austin. Western Texas. Surely more of the Houston people could head that way? Closer that Dallas as well

I was wondering that too. Also wondering if all of the smaller roads out of town are gridlocked or if everyone is sitting on I45 and I10? I wonder how many thought to take the 'back roads'?

Fred: Most people are like lemmings and will take the only road out of town they're familiar with. I bet there are a dozen less-travelled ways to get out of Houston!

Lemmings is exactly what I was thinking. I was looking at a map of Houston and it looks like there are many smaller roads that could be used to 'get outta Dodge'.

So true. I have friends that spent 12 hours driving the normal 1.5 hours to College Station and others that got there in 2-3 hours by sticking to the backroads. The interstates are the worse. By the way all major roads leading west to are equally congested. South roads are not as bad but your entering flood prone areas and not distancing yourself from the coast. Rita is going to affect nearly all the coast of Texas.